Wolves Weather the Teddy Bears, Down 67's in SO
OTTAWA, ON - A downpour of teddy bears wasn't enough to propel the Ottawa 67's to a victory. It took seven rounds of a shootout before Shane Bulitka ended the game for the Sudbury Wolves.
The Barber Poles led in the third period, but a late comeback from Sudbury led to a 4-3 win for the visitors. As a result, the 67's end a winless weekend with three losses.
The 67's peppered Sudbury netminder Jake McGrath early in the contest, registering 18 shots in the first period. They continued to test the veteran goalie into the mid stages of the second, before Peter Stratis finally got the game's opening goal on Teddy Bear Toss day.
4,923 Ottawa fans littered the ice with teddy bears after the goal, leading to a lengthy cleanup delay.
The Wolves tied the score 1-1 headed into the third period, and the teams would trade another goal each before the 67's stormed back to take a late lead in the final frame. Tye Felhaber's shot at 6:29 of period three sailed over McGrath's pad and into the net for a 3-2 Ottawa lead.
However, late penalty trouble would bite the 67's. Noel Hoefenmayer took a double minor penalty for checking from behind late in the final frame, and Sudbury's Blake Murray capitalized at 16:50 to tie the game at 3-3.
Overtime solved nothing, and Bulitka's goal to win the contest for the Wolves was the third of the shootout.
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING
Head coach André Tourigny
"Today our guys found a way to play really well at 5-on-5, we battled hard. We found a way to score goals - I think we could have scored 10 today. It's a positive note, unfortunately we didn't come up with the two points."
67's D Peter Stratis's teddy bear toss goal was his fourth of the 2017-18 season - the sophomore only had one goal in his entire rookie campaign. The referees did not allow Sasha Chmelevski to take a shootout attempt due to his high sticking penalty taken in overtime, head coach André Tourigny said after the game. The 67's registered one goal in the shootout, from rookie F Mitch Hoelscher in the sixth round.
67's single-game tickets start at $12 and are available at Ottawa67s.com/Single-Game-Tickets, by calling 613.232.6767 or in person at The Box Office at TD Place. All minor hockey players part of the 67's Prospect Program get in for FREE. For more information on the 67's Prospect Program .
Graeme Ivory | Director, Communications and Content
E: [email protected] | O: 613.232.6767 X8322 | M: 613.878.3321
Copyright © 2017 Ottawa Sports & Entertainment Group, All rights reserved.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 12, 2017
- At Perani's Hockey World: Meet Toronto Maple Leafs' NHL Draft Pick Fedor Gordeev & Nikita Alexandrov - Flint Firebirds
- OSEG Media Schedule: December 11-18, 2017 | Calendrier Pour M=C3=A9dias: 11-18 D=C3=A9cembre 2017 - Ottawa 67's
- Bulldogs Feast on Steelheads - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolves Weather the Teddy Bears, Down 67's in SO - Ottawa 67's
- Offensive Outburst Lifts Rangers to Royal Win in Guelph - Kitchener Rangers
- Firebirds Rally Back for Three Straight Goals to Tie, Fall 5-4 in Owen Sound Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Bulldogs Snag Steelheads 5-3 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- GAME RECAP: Dogs Fall to Spirit 3-1 - Niagara IceDogs
- Rangers Rally for 3-2 OT Win Versus Otters - Kitchener Rangers
- Cavallin Picks up First-Career OHL Victory as Firebirds Earn Second Win in Three Games - Flint Firebirds
- 67's Shut out by Soo to Wrap up Weekend - Ottawa 67's
- Firebirds' Three-Goal Third Period Not Enough in "Teddy Bear Toss" Defeat Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Dogs Come out of Flint with 6-4 Win - Niagara IceDogs
- Peric's Late Goal Snaps Skid, Gives 67's Win in Front of National Audience - Ottawa 67's
- Preview: Firebirds Host the Niagara IceDogs Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Firebirds Earn Second Consecutive Victory over Hamilton with 4-3 Win. - Flint Firebirds
- Groundhog Day Suits Rangers Just Fine After Repeat Win over Attack - Kitchener Rangers
- Bulldogs Drop 4-3 Overtime Decision in Flint - Hamilton Bulldogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.