67's Shut out by Soo to Wrap up Weekend
OTTAWA, ON - A trio of second period goals from the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds was the insurance necessary to keep their 14-game winning streak in tact, as they defeated the Ottawa 67's 4-0.
Sault Ste. Marie opened the scoring in the first period, when captain Tim Gettinger took a feed from Anthony DeMeo and drove it past 67's starter Olivier Tremblay.
The floodgates poured open at the start of the second period for the Greyhounds, as they scored their three insurance goals in a span of two and a half minutes right after the halfway mark of the middle frame. Goals came off the sticks of Barrett Hayton, Jack Kopacka, and Boris Katchouk. Ottawa applied tons of pressure as the game came to a close, but were unable to shorten the gap.
WHAT THEY'RE SAYING: Head coach André Tourigny - "We cannot give the top end teams a chance, because they'll eat you alive. But after (the second period), I thought we played our game. We controlled the puck in their zone, even in our zone. They're a really talented team, and it was a tough test but I think we'll learn from this."
GAME NOTES: Shots were dead even - both teams registered 32 of them, with Tyler Johnson recording the shutout victory in the Soo net, with 67's G Olivier Tremblay stopping 28 of his shots faced.
67's F Graeme Clarke had his four-game goal streak snapped in the loss.
While Barrett Hayton and Hayden Verbeek led the game with nine faceoff wins each, 67's F Sasha Chmelevski was dominant in the faceoff circle for Ottawa. He won eight draws, second on either team.
This was the third time this season the 67's were shut out by an opponent, the last time coming on October 22 versus Hamilton.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 12, 2017
- At Perani's Hockey World: Meet Toronto Maple Leafs' NHL Draft Pick Fedor Gordeev & Nikita Alexandrov - Flint Firebirds
- OSEG Media Schedule: December 11-18, 2017 | Calendrier Pour M=C3=A9dias: 11-18 D=C3=A9cembre 2017 - Ottawa 67's
- Bulldogs Feast on Steelheads - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Wolves Weather the Teddy Bears, Down 67's in SO - Ottawa 67's
- Offensive Outburst Lifts Rangers to Royal Win in Guelph - Kitchener Rangers
- Firebirds Rally Back for Three Straight Goals to Tie, Fall 5-4 in Owen Sound Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Bulldogs Snag Steelheads 5-3 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- GAME RECAP: Dogs Fall to Spirit 3-1 - Niagara IceDogs
- Rangers Rally for 3-2 OT Win Versus Otters - Kitchener Rangers
- Cavallin Picks up First-Career OHL Victory as Firebirds Earn Second Win in Three Games - Flint Firebirds
- 67's Shut out by Soo to Wrap up Weekend - Ottawa 67's
- Firebirds' Three-Goal Third Period Not Enough in "Teddy Bear Toss" Defeat Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Dogs Come out of Flint with 6-4 Win - Niagara IceDogs
- Peric's Late Goal Snaps Skid, Gives 67's Win in Front of National Audience - Ottawa 67's
- Preview: Firebirds Host the Niagara IceDogs Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Firebirds Earn Second Consecutive Victory over Hamilton with 4-3 Win. - Flint Firebirds
- Groundhog Day Suits Rangers Just Fine After Repeat Win over Attack - Kitchener Rangers
- Bulldogs Drop 4-3 Overtime Decision in Flint - Hamilton Bulldogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Ottawa 67's Stories
- 67's Add Two New Players to the Roster Through 2020 CHL Import Draft
- 67's Acquire Steven LaForme from North Bay Battalion
- 67's Noel Hoefenmayer Earns CHL Defenceman of the Year Award
- 67's Tourigny Honoured as the CHL's Coach of the Year
- Six Members of the 67's Selected to OHL Year-End All-Star Teams