Firebirds Claim Belarus Native Vladislav Kolyachonok off Waivers
Flint, Mich. - The Flint Firebirds announced today that the club has claimed defenseman Vladislav Kolyachonok (pronounced kol-ya-chaw-nawk) off OHL waivers from the London Knights.
Kolyachonok is a highly touted defenseman that is considered a top prospect for the upcoming 2019 NHL Draft in June. He was included as 'B' rated prospect, indicating second/third round candidates on NHL Central Scouting's October 'Players to Watch List' for the NHL Draft. He was London's second-round selection in the 2018 CHL Import Draft. Last season, Kolyachonok recorded 20 points (5G, 15A) in 43 games with the U18 National Belarus team. He also recorded one goal and one assist in five games with Belarus at the 2018 IIHF World U18 Championship in Chelyabinsk and Magnitogorsk, Russia.
"We are thrilled to announce the addition of Vladislav to our hockey club," said Flint Firebirds Vice President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Barclay Branch. "Vladislav is a highly talented defenseman with a strong level of commitment and will play a significant role with our group moving forward."
The 6-foot-2, 181-pound defenseman hails from the capital city of Belarus, Minsk. He earned his first-career OHL point and was plus-one in his first game with London on Sep. 21. He will wear #18 for the Firebirds.
With the arrival of Kolyachonok, defenseman Nikita Alexandrov was released Tuesday.
Images from this story
Vladislav Kolyachonok with the London Knights
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from October 3, 2018
- Attack Sting Sarnia with a 5-2 Win - Owen Sound Attack
- Sting Drop 5-2 Battle in Owen Sound - Sarnia Sting
- Spirit Top Firebirds in Coors Light I-75 Divide Opener - Saginaw Spirit
- 67's Comeback Falls Just Short in North Bay - Ottawa 67's
- Wolves Hit Road on High Note for Thanksgiving Weekend - Sudbury Wolves
- Zach Gallant Named 60th Captain in Peterborough Petes History - Peterborough Petes
- Weekend Preview - Big Weekend Ahead for Steelheads - Mississauga Steelheads
- Canadian Hockey League Welcomes Kia Canada as New Partner to Drive Canada's National Pastime - OHL
- Attack Name Nick Suzuki 23rd Captain in Franchise History - Owen Sound Attack
- Bulldogs Name New Captain - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Firebirds Claim Belarus Native Vladislav Kolyachonok off Waivers - Flint Firebirds
- Sting off to Perfect Start in 25th Season - Sarnia Sting
- Knights Sign Priority Selection - London Knights
- Spirit Travel to Flint as Coors Light I-75 Divide Rivalry Begins - Saginaw Spirit
- Attack Face a Trio of Teams in Week 3 of OHL Season - Owen Sound Attack
- Firebirds Acquire Forward Lucas Rowe in Trade with London - Flint Firebirds
- Four Petes Named to NHL Central Scouting Players to Watch List - Peterborough Petes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- Firebirds Select Belarus Native Dmitry Kuzmin in CHL Import Draft
- Firebirds Prepare for 2020 CHL Import Draft Tuesday
- Firebirds Kuwabara, Prospect Brown Invited to Canada's Virtual National Under-17 Development Camp
- Firebirds Acquire Defenseman Zack Terry from Guelph
- Othmann Recognized as Invitee to Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp