FC Dallas Trades Rights to Forward Tesho Akindele to Orlando City SC
Frisco, Texas - FC Dallas has traded the MLS rights to forward Tesho Akindele to Orlando City SC in exchange for $100,000 in Targeted Allocation Money (TAM) in 2019 and $50,000 in General Allocation Money (GAM) in 2020.
"Tesho was a terrific first-round pick that we were able to watch develop as a professional before our own eyes," said FC Dallas President Dan Hunt. "He scored fantastic goals but, even more importantly, portrayed the outstanding qualities as a person that we strive for at FC Dallas."
Akindele, 26, scored 24 goals and eight assists in 133 regular season appearances for FC Dallas and scored in three consecutive playoff runs for the club - the only MLS player to accomplish such a feat. He was drafted sixth overall by FC Dallas in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft after an impressive NCAA Division II career.
In 2014, Akindele won MLS Rookie of the Year after scoring seven goals and three assists in 26 regular season matches. He netted his first career hat-trick in a 5-0 win against San Jose on Aug. 16, 2014 and scored his first career playoff goal in a 2-1 win against Vancouver on Oct. 29.
He began his career at Colorado School of Mines where he became the school's all-time leading goal scorer with 76 goals in four seasons. In 2010, Akindele was the first player in his school's conference to score three consecutive hat tricks. He became the first MLS player to graduate from Southern New Hampshire University since their partnership with Major League Soccer on Nov. 17, 2017.
Akindele earned 14 caps for the Canadian National Team and scored two goals.
Full Name: Tesho Akindele
Date of Birth: March 31, 1992
Hometown: Thornton, Colorado
Birthplace: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Transaction: FC Dallas trades Tesho Akindele to Orlando City SC.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 9, 2018
- Orlando City Acquires 2019 Third Round Pick from Vancouver - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City SC Acquires Forward Tesho Akindele from FC Dallas - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Announce Year-End Roster Moves - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Trades Maxi Urruti to Montreal Impact - FC Dallas
- Impact Acquires Argentine Striker Maximiliano Urruti - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Keepers Maxime CrÃ©peau and Zac MacMath, Left Back/Winger Victor "PC" Giro - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Acquires Targeted Allocation Money and SuperDraft Pick from Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Attacking Midfielder Nicolas Mezquida from Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Colorado Rapids
- FC Cincinnati Acquires Goalkeeper Spencer Richey - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Trades Rights to Forward Tesho Akindele to Orlando City SC - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire Acquires Forward Fabian Herbers - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Acquire 2019 MLS SuperDraft Pick from Chicago Fire - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Conclude 2018 Campaign with Second MLS Cup Appearance in Four Seasons - Portland Timbers
- 2018 MLS CUP: Atlanta United 2, Portland Timbers 0 Postgame Notes - MLS
- Atlanta United Win MLS Cup, Defeat Portland Timbers 2-0 - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- Ricardo Pepi Called into United States U-17 National Team for 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup
- FC Dallas Signs Paxton Pomykal to New Contract
- FC Dallas Clinches Playoff Berth in 6-0 Shutout against SKC
- #FCDvSKC: Five Facts You Need to Know
- Bryan Acosta, Reggie Cannon, Zdenek Ondrasek Called into National Team Duty