Chicago Fire Acquires Forward Fabian Herbers
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. (Dec. 9, 2018) - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club announced today it has acquired forward Fabian Herbers from the Philadelphia Union in exchange for a natural second-round pick in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft. The 25-year-old is under contract for the 2019 MLS season with a club option for 2020.
Herbers, who received his U.S. Green Card in 2017, was selected sixth overall by the Union in the 2016 MLS SuperDraft. In his rookie campaign, Herbers made 32 appearances, tallying three goals and a team-leading seven assists. Overall, Herbers made 53 regular season appearances (22 starts) in three seasons (2016-18) with the Union, posting four goals and nine assists.
"Fabian is a player that we've followed since college," said Chicago Fire Soccer Club President and General Manager Nelson Rodriguez. "He has several quality traits that should blend with our style of play, including his movement off the ball, ability to consistently find the target and a strong mentality. With more playing time, we believe that Fabian could develop into a consistent scoring threat in this league."
Prior to joining the Union, the Ahaus, Germany, native spent three years at Creighton University. While playing for the Bluejays, Herbers scored 28 goals in 57 appearances, earning United Soccer Coaches' First Team All-America honors on two occasions. During his junior year in 2015, Herbers was named the Big East Offensive Player of the Year and a finalist for the MAC Hermann Trophy after posting 15 goals and 17 assists.
Transaction: Chicago Fire Soccer Club acquires forward Fabian Herbers from the Philadelphia Union in exchange for a natural second-round pick in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft.
Name: Fabian Herbers
Weight: 165 lbs.
Date of Birth: Aug. 17, 1993
Birthplace: Ahaus, Germany
Last Club: Philadelphia Union
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 9, 2018
- Orlando City Acquires 2019 Third Round Pick from Vancouver - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City SC Acquires Forward Tesho Akindele from FC Dallas - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Announce Year-End Roster Moves - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Trades Maxi Urruti to Montreal Impact - FC Dallas
- Impact Acquires Argentine Striker Maximiliano Urruti - Montreal Impact
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Keepers Maxime CrÃ©peau and Zac MacMath, Left Back/Winger Victor "PC" Giro - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Acquires Targeted Allocation Money and SuperDraft Pick from Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- Colorado Rapids Acquire Attacking Midfielder Nicolas Mezquida from Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Colorado Rapids
- FC Cincinnati Acquires Goalkeeper Spencer Richey - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Trades Rights to Forward Tesho Akindele to Orlando City SC - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire Acquires Forward Fabian Herbers - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Acquire 2019 MLS SuperDraft Pick from Chicago Fire - Philadelphia Union
- Timbers Conclude 2018 Campaign with Second MLS Cup Appearance in Four Seasons - Portland Timbers
- 2018 MLS CUP: Atlanta United 2, Portland Timbers 0 Postgame Notes - MLS
- Atlanta United Win MLS Cup, Defeat Portland Timbers 2-0 - Atlanta United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Frankowski, Hasler and Mihailovic Called up to International Duty
- Chicago Fire Falls 4-2 to Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire Acquires Argentina National Team Midfielder Nicolas Gaitan
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - March 11, 2019
- CJ Sapong Scores in the 95th Minute, Fire Draws Orlando City SC 1-1 at SeatGeek Stadium