FC Dallas Homegrown Ricardo Pepi Selected for 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target
FRISCO, Texas - Eighteen-year-old FC Dallas Homegrown Ricardo Pepi earned his first MLS All-Star Game invitation today. He was among the 28 players honored as Major League Soccer unveiled the complete roster for the 2021 MLS All-Star Game presented by Target. LAFC coach Bob Bradley, who will coach the MLS All-Stars, selected Pepi as a coach's pick.
"It's an honor to be called up to the All-Star Game," said Pepi. "I wasn't expecting it because we were watching video and preparing for the next game. It was a special moment from my family, teammates and coaches to surprise me in the locker room. I have made some big steps this season so I'm very excited and I'm happy to go to the All-Star Game."
Pepi became the youngest player in MLS and FC Dallas history to score a hat trick when he accomplished the feat on July 24, 2021 against the LA Galaxy. Pepi was 18 years and 196 days old at the time, surpassing the MLS record previously set in 2013 by Kekuta Manneh at 18 years and 283 days.
Pepi has scored 11 goals and recorded three assists across all competitions for FC Dallas. Following his hat trick against LA Galaxy on July 24, Ricardo Pepi earned his second MLS Team of the Week honor of the season and was named Player of the Week on July 26.
He signed with FC Dallas as the 26th Homegrown in club history at 16 years and 163 days old on June 21, 2019. He is the first true pathway player to start his youth soccer career in the FC Dallas-El Paso affiliate before joining the FC Dallas Academy in 2016, signing with FC Dallas' USL League One affiliate North Texas SC as their first-ever player signing in 2018, and lastly the senior team.
The roster was determined through a combination of fan, player and media voting (13 players), designations by All-Star Head Coach Bob Bradley (13 players) and a pair of selections by MLS Commissioner Don Garber. The Commissioner's Picks for 2021 are Tajon Buchanan from New England Revolution and Cade Cowell from San Jose Earthquakes. Of the 28 players named, 24 are first-time MLS All-Stars.
Fifteen clubs are represented on this year's All-Star Game roster: Atlanta United, Columbus Crew, FC Dallas, LA Galaxy, Los Angeles Football Club, Minnesota United FC, Nashville SC, New England Revolution, New York City FC, Orlando City SC, Philadelphia Union, Real Salt Lake, San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders FC and Sporting Kansas City. The players have ties to 14 countries: Argentina, Brazil, Cameroon, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, El Salvador, Hungary, Mexico, Peru, Portugal, Spain, United States, Uruguay.
The history-making match against the best of LIGA MX will take place on August 25 at 8 p.m. CT at Banc of California Stadium in Los Angeles and will be broadcast live on FS1, Univision, TSN and TVA Sports. Tickets are available at MLSsoccer.com/AllStar21. The announcement comes on the heels of the U.S. Men's National Team defeating the Mexico National Team in the Concacaf Gold Cup Final 1-0 with the game-winning tally coming from Robinson in extra time in the 117th minute.
2021 MLS All-Star Game Roster
Last Name First Name Club Position ASG No.
Araujo Julian LA Galaxy RB 2
Atuesta Eduard Los Angeles Football Club DM 20
Bou Gustavo New England Revolution W 7
Buchanan Tajon New England Revolution W 18
Cowell Cade San Jose Earthquakes FW 44
Gallese Pedro Orlando City SC GK 1
Gil Carles New England Revolution AM 22
Gomez Andrade Yeimar Seattle Sounders FC CB 28
Hernandez Javier 'Chicharito' LA Galaxy FW 14
Kreilach Damir Real Salt Lake CM 8
Murillo Jesus Los Angeles Football Club CB 94
Orlando City SC W 17
Seattle Sounders FC LB 5
Paulo João Seattle Sounders FC DM 6
Pepi Ricardo FC Dallas FW 24
Reynoso Emanuel Minnesota United FC AM 33
Robinson Miles Atlanta United CB 12
Roldan Alex Seattle Sounders FC RB 13
Roldan Cristian Seattle Sounders FC CM 23
Rossi Diego Los Angeles Football Club W 21
Ruidíaz Raúl Seattle Sounders FC FW 9
Salloi Daniel Sporting Kansas City W 19
Sands James New York City FC CB 16
Turner Matt New England Revolution GK 30
Vela Carlos Los Angeles Football Club W 10
Wagner Kai Philadelphia Union LB 27
Zelarayan Lucas Columbus Crew AM 11
Zimmerman Walker Nashville SC CB 25
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 4, 2021
- Chicago Fire FC Earns Point in 0-0 Draw with New York City FC - Chicago Fire FC
- Inter Miami CF Earns 1-1 Draw in Orlando - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Win 4-2 against Columbus Crew SC on the Road - D.C. United
- New York Battles FC Cincinnati to a 0-0 Draw on Wednesday Night - New York Red Bulls
- Antonio Carlos Scores First of the Year as City Draws Inter Miami on Wednesday - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Comes from Behind to Draw CF Montreal 2-2 - Atlanta United FC
- Philadelphia Union (3) - Toronto FC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Daniel Gazdag scores his first career MLS goal; Andre Blake and the Union earn their seventh clean sheet - Philadelphia Union
- Nashville Soccer Club Extends Overall Unbeaten Streak to Nine against Eastern Conference Leaders New England Revolution - Nashville SC
- Revolution and Nashville SC Play to 0-0 Draw - New England Revolution
- LAFC Signs Daniel Crisostomo from Las Vegas Lights - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Face the Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS Commissioner Don Garber Is Coming to NashvilleÃÂ - Nashville SC
- Independent Review Panel Denies Chicago Fire FC's Appeal of Wyatt Omsberg's Red Card - Chicago Fire FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- #SEAvDAL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Forward Javier Hernandez and Defender Julian Araujo Selected for 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - LA Galaxy
- Nashville Soccer Club Defender Walker Zimmerman Selected to the 2021 MLS All-Star Game, Pres. by TargetÃÂ - Nashville SC
- Gold Cup Heroes Robinson and Turner, Superstars Chicharito and Vela Among 28 Players Selected for 2021 MLS All-Star Game - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Defender Kai Wagner Named to 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting KC's Daniel Salloi Named an MLS All-Star - Sporting Kansas City
- Columbus Crew Midfielder Lucas Zelarayan Selected for 2021 MLS All-Star Game - Columbus Crew SC
- Six Sounders FC Players Selected to 2021 MLS All-Star Game - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City Duo Selected for 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - Orlando City SC
- New York City FC Defender James Sands Selected to 2021 MLS All-Star Team - New York City FC
- Miles Robinson Named to 2021 MLS All-Star Game - Atlanta United FC
- Four LAFC Players Selected to 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Forward Cade Cowell Selected to MLS All-Star Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Four New England Revolution Players Named to MLS All-Star Team - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Midfielder Damir Kreilach Named to MLS All-Star Team - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Homegrown Ricardo Pepi Selected for 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - FC Dallas
- Minnesota United Midfielder Emanuel Reynoso Selected to 2021 All-Star Roster - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Hosts FC Dallas on Wednesday Evening at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Recall Jacob Greene from Loudoun United FC Loan - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- FC Dallas Homegrown Jesús Ferreira Part of USMNT Roster for Upcoming World Cup Qualifiers
- FC Dallas Loans Homegrown Justin Che to TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
- FC Dallas Acquires Goalkeeper Maarten Paes on Loan from FC Utrecht
- FC Dallas Re-Signs Homegrown Jésus Ferreira as a Young Designated Player
- FC Dallas Hires Jerome Elenez as Vice President of Marketing