Atlanta United Comes from Behind to Draw CF Montreal 2-2
MONTREAL, Quebec - Atlanta United came from behind to draw CF Montreal 2-2 Wednesday night at Stade Saputo. Josef Martinez and Marcelino Moreno scored goals in the final half-hour of the match as Atlanta erased a two-goal deficit to split the points.
Atlanta had the first chance of the game, coming in the 10th minute as Ronald Hernández found Moreno near the top of the box. Moreno played a give-and-go with Martinez, receiving the return pass and forcing a save from James Pantemis.
But after a scoreless first half, Montreal opened the scoring in the 53rd minute though Mason Toye. Joaquin Torres played in Toye behind Atlanta's backline and the forward placed a shot inside the far post. Rudy Camacho doubled the lead for Montreal in the 63rd minute. Djorde Mihailovic's corner found an open Camacho at the back post, who smashed the ball past Guzan at the near post.
However, Atlanta immediately responded in the 65th minute as Ezequiel Barco carried the ball forward and found Martinez at the top of the box, who turned and fired a curling right-footed shot inside the right post past a diving Pantemis.
Just more than 10 minutes later, Atlanta equalized after Martinez drew a penalty when he was taken down inside the box by Camacho, who was shown a straight red card. Moreno stepped up to the spot and buried his penalty down the middle of the goal.
A few minutes later in the 82nd minute, Martinez and Wanyama were involved in a scuffle behind the play. After video review, both players were shown a red card. Both teams had chances over the final 15 minutes, but the game ended 2-2.
Atlanta (2-6-9, 15 points) returns to action Saturday when it travels to face Columbus Crew at Lower.com Field (7:30 p.m., Bally Sports South, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game, La Mejor).
Atlanta United 2, CF Montreal 2
Shots: 14-11 Atlanta
Shots on Target: 4-3 Montreal
Corner kicks: 5-5
Fouls committed: 9-8 Montreal
Offside: 2-1 Montreal
Possession: 53-47 Atlanta
Passing Accuracy: 88-83 Atlanta
MTL - Maon Toye (Joaquin Torres) 53' [HIGHLIGHT]
MTL - Rudy Camacho (Djorde Mihailovic) 63' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Josef Martinez (Ezequiel Barco) 65' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Mareclino Moreno (penalty) 76' [HIGHLIGHT]
MTL- Aljaz Struna (yellow) 19'
ATL - George Campbell (yellow) 27'
MTL - Rudy Camacho (red) 73'
MTL- Victor Manyama (red) 82'
ATL - Josef Martinez (red) 82'
MTL - Djordje Mihailovic (yellow) 85'
ATL - Jürgen Damm (yellow) 90'
ATL - Marcelino Moreno (yellow) 90+6'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan (C); Ronald Hernández (Matheus Rossetto - 68'), George Campbell, Anton Walkes, Alan Franco, George Bello; Santiago Sosa, Amar Sejdić (Jürgen Damm - 68'), Marcelino Moreno, Ezequiel Barco; Josef Martínez
Substitutes not used: Alec Kann, Mikey Ambrose, Machop Chol, Jackson Conway, Alex De John, Erik López, Erick Torres.
CF MONTREAL STARTING LINEUP
James Pantemis; Kamal Miller, Rudy Camacho, Zahan Bassong, Aljaz Struna, Victor Wanyama (C), Ahmed Hamdi (Samuel Piette - 13'), Djorde Mihailovic, Joaquin Torres (Zachary Brault-Guillard - 86'), Mathieu Choiniere, Mayson Toye (Sunusi Ibrahim - 78').
Substitutes not used: Sebastian Breza, Samuel Piette, Bjorn Jophnsen, Mustafa Kizza, Joel Waterman, Emanuel Maciel, Clement Bayiha.
Dave Gantar (referee), Matthew Nelson (assistant), Cory Richardson (assistant), Marcos DeOliveira (fourth), Geoff Gamble (VAR), Robert Schaap (AVAR).
Atlanta erased a two-goal deficit to earn at least a point for the first time since Sept. 19, 2018 against San Jose Earthquakes.
It was the third time in Atlanta's MLS history it came back from down two goals to earn at least a point.
Josef Martinez scored his 4th goal of the season.
Marcelino Moreno scored his team-leading 5th goal of the season.
Ezequiel Barco earned his second assist.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 4, 2021
- Chicago Fire FC Earns Point in 0-0 Draw with New York City FC - Chicago Fire FC
- Inter Miami CF Earns 1-1 Draw in Orlando - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Win 4-2 against Columbus Crew SC on the Road - D.C. United
- New York Battles FC Cincinnati to a 0-0 Draw on Wednesday Night - New York Red Bulls
- Antonio Carlos Scores First of the Year as City Draws Inter Miami on Wednesday - Orlando City SC
- Atlanta United Comes from Behind to Draw CF Montreal 2-2 - Atlanta United FC
- Philadelphia Union (3) - Toronto FC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Daniel Gazdag scores his first career MLS goal; Andre Blake and the Union earn their seventh clean sheet - Philadelphia Union
- Nashville Soccer Club Extends Overall Unbeaten Streak to Nine against Eastern Conference Leaders New England Revolution - Nashville SC
- Revolution and Nashville SC Play to 0-0 Draw - New England Revolution
- LAFC Signs Daniel Crisostomo from Las Vegas Lights - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Face the Portland Timbers Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- MLS Commissioner Don Garber Is Coming to NashvilleÃÂ - Nashville SC
- Independent Review Panel Denies Chicago Fire FC's Appeal of Wyatt Omsberg's Red Card - Chicago Fire FC
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- #SEAvDAL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Forward Javier Hernandez and Defender Julian Araujo Selected for 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - LA Galaxy
- Nashville Soccer Club Defender Walker Zimmerman Selected to the 2021 MLS All-Star Game, Pres. by TargetÃÂ - Nashville SC
- Gold Cup Heroes Robinson and Turner, Superstars Chicharito and Vela Among 28 Players Selected for 2021 MLS All-Star Game - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Defender Kai Wagner Named to 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - Philadelphia Union
- Sporting KC's Daniel Salloi Named an MLS All-Star - Sporting Kansas City
- Columbus Crew Midfielder Lucas Zelarayan Selected for 2021 MLS All-Star Game - Columbus Crew SC
- Six Sounders FC Players Selected to 2021 MLS All-Star Game - Seattle Sounders FC
- Orlando City Duo Selected for 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - Orlando City SC
- New York City FC Defender James Sands Selected to 2021 MLS All-Star Team - New York City FC
- Miles Robinson Named to 2021 MLS All-Star Game - Atlanta United FC
- Four LAFC Players Selected to 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - Los Angeles FC
- Earthquakes Forward Cade Cowell Selected to MLS All-Star Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Four New England Revolution Players Named to MLS All-Star Team - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake Midfielder Damir Kreilach Named to MLS All-Star Team - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Homegrown Ricardo Pepi Selected for 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - FC Dallas
- Minnesota United Midfielder Emanuel Reynoso Selected to 2021 All-Star Roster - Minnesota United FC
- Sounders FC Hosts FC Dallas on Wednesday Evening at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- D.C. United Recall Jacob Greene from Loudoun United FC Loan - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- George Bello and Brooks Lennon Called up to United States Men's National Team for December Friendly
- Miles Robinson Named to 2021 MLS Best XI
- Atlanta United Announces Year-End Roster Moves
- Santiago Sosa Undergoes Successful Sports Hernia Surgery
- Atlanta United Falls 2-0 at New York City FC in Round One of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs