FC Dallas Acquires Ugo Ihemelu in Trade with the Colorado Rapids
FRISCO, Texas (Monday, August 31, 2009) - FC Dallas General Manager Michael Hitchcock announced today that team has acquired defender Ugo Ihemelu from the Colorado Rapids in exchange for defender Drew Moor, the team's natural second round pick in the 2010 MLS SuperDraft and allocation money.
"Ugo Ihemelu is a talented player with tremendous speed that will be a key member of our back line," FC Dallas Head Coach Schellas Hyndman said. "In my time here, we haven't had that natural right back we have needed and we believe Ugo will provide that for us moving forward. We would also like to thank Drew Moor for his service to this team the past four years and wish him well in Colorado."
Ihemelu has appeared in 20 games and provided two assists this season with the Colorado Rapids. The 26-year-old defender was drafted as the fifth overall pick by the LA Galaxy in 2005 and helped them win the 2005 MLS Cup at Pizza Hut Park by starting in all four playoff games including the championship match versus the New England Revolution. He appeared in 54 games for the Galaxy before being traded to Colorado in 2007. While with the Rapids, Ihemelu has appeared in 63 games and recorded one goal and two assists.
In 2006, Ihemelu earned his first cap with the U.S. National Team as a substitute in the 5-0 whitewashing of Norway on January 29. He made his second appearance with the national team in this year's 3-2 win over Sweden after replacing Michael Parkhurst.
The Nigerian born player grew up in nearby Cedar Hill, Texas and attended the Southern Methodist University where he played under FC Dallas Head Coach Schellas Hyndman. While at SMU, Ihemelu was named to the All-Missouri Valley Conference team in his junior and senior year.
Moor was drafted by FCD in 2005 with the sixth overall pick of the SuperDraft. The 25-year-old defender made 123 appearances, scoring eight goals and totaling two assists.
FCD now owns two first round picks (FCD natural and Toronto's natural), one second round pick (either Toronto's natural or Columbus' natural), two third round picks (FCD natural and Columbus' natural), and one fourth round selection (FCD natural) in the 2010 SuperDraft.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 31, 2009
- Chivas USA hosts New England Revolution on September 13 in crucial match - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Galaxy Weekly Update - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake FW Pablo Campos named MLS Player of the Week - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Weekly Update for August 31 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Toronto FC and Colorado to face off in Impact Game of the Week - MLS
- Cornell Glen and Simon Elliott Earn National Team Call-ups - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Acquire Drew Moor in Trade with FC Dallas - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Acquires Ugo Ihemelu in Trade with the Colorado Rapids - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls Weekly Update - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Update: August 31st - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Dallas Stories
- Broadcast Details for FC Dallas' Playoff Match on October 19th Confirmed
- Ricardo Pepi Called into United States U-17 National Team for 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup
- FC Dallas Signs Paxton Pomykal to New Contract
- FC Dallas Clinches Playoff Berth in 6-0 Shutout against SKC
- #FCDvSKC: Five Facts You Need to Know