Earthquakes Weekly Update for August 31
The San Jose Earthquakes return to the Bay Area after their 2-1 defeat at the hands of the New England Revolution last weekend. They have a two weekends off from league play, but have two games in the next eight days. They play the El Sueño de tu Vida Bay Area All-Stars in a friendly on Friday, Sept. 4 at PAL Stadium in San Jose. The team then takes on Club Deportivo Aguila in an international exhibition on Tuesday, Sept. 8 at Buck Shaw Stadium at 7:30 p.m. PT.
Earthquakes Schedule for the Week of 8/31/09
Tuesday, September 1 - 10:30 a.m. PT - Training at West Valley College
Wednesday, September 2 - 10:30 a.m. PT - Training at West Valley College
Thursday, September 3 - 10:30 a.m. - Training at West Valley College
Friday, September, 4 - 8:00 p.m. - Earthquakes vs. El Sueño de tu Vida All-Stars at PAL Stadium in San Jose
Saturday, September 5 - TBD
Sunday, September 6 - OFF
Questionable: Aaron Pitchkolan (L - groin avulsion); Bobby Convey (L - hamstring strain).
Earthquakes 1, New England Revolution 2; August 29, 2009; Gillette Stadium; Foxborough, Mass.
Steve Ralston notched his team-leading seventh goal of the season and added an assist as the New England Revolution beat the San Jose Earthquakes 2-1 at a rainy Gillette Stadium. Ralston chipped home a Shalrie Joseph flick-on after 68 minutes and set Wells Thompson free to curl home a left-footed stunner six minutes later to allow the Revs to keep pace in the playoff race. Ramon Sanchez's late header gave the Quakes a late consolation goal, but it wasn't enough to end the Quakes' season-long road winless run. The slick conditions made passing difficult on both sides with neither team really finding its rhythm in the opening 45 minutes. The few half-chances presented came from individual moves rather than composed team buildup. Arturo Alvarez looked the brightest of all as he carved out space time and again in between the crevices allotted by the Revolution back four. Alvarez's audacious run from the left wing sliced through the Revolution rearguard after 12 minutes, but the El Salvador international didn't release in time and allowed Jay Heaps to slide over and charge down the ensuing effort. With the Revs struggling to maintain possession or carve open the makeshift Earthquakes back line, Alvarez had ample opportunity to acquire the ball and run at players. Alvarez made a run inside after collecting Shea Salinas' feed, but Reis blocked his low, skipping shot to the near post. A subsequent cross into the middle posed considerably more danger until Wondolowski's tame header at Reis negated it shortly before the halftime interval. Two goals in six minutes turned the game on its head and handed the Revolution a decisive advantage. Ralston notched his team-leading seventh goal of the season in the 68th minute. The direct, Route One play saw a long ball lumped out of the back. Joseph--switched up top when Dube went off in the 62nd minute--flicked on service. Andre Luiz couldn't deal with the flick-on, allowing Ralston to surge in behind the back line and loop over Cannon. Thompson doubled the advantage with a sublime finish six minutes late. Ralston started the move with a sweeping long ball to Thompson down the right wing. Thompson ran at Corrales, cut inside and curled his left-footed effort into the upper corner. Corrales made sure San Jose's late pressure paid off with a fine cross for Sanchez to head home in second-half stoppage time, but the final whistle soon blew to ensure the Revs would grab their third win on the trot.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 31, 2009
- Chivas USA hosts New England Revolution on September 13 in crucial match - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Galaxy Weekly Update - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake FW Pablo Campos named MLS Player of the Week - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Weekly Update for August 31 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Toronto FC and Colorado to face off in Impact Game of the Week - MLS
- Cornell Glen and Simon Elliott Earn National Team Call-ups - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Acquire Drew Moor in Trade with FC Dallas - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Acquires Ugo Ihemelu in Trade with the Colorado Rapids - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls Weekly Update - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Update: August 31st - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Shea Salinas records first-ever brace in road draw
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 22, 2019
- Quakes earn second win in last three matches; Hoesen tallies brace
- CEFCU Movie Night Series Returns to Avaya Stadium this Summer
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: April 15, 2019