Fast Start Propels Tourists to a Win in Rome
ASHEVILLE - The Asheville Tourists accomplished a first in 2021 Tuesday night in their 5-4 victory over the Rome Braves. Asheville used a fast start and a run late to record their first series opening victory away from home this season. The Tourists received key contributions from several players in the win.
A three-run top of the first inning was crucial in the winning effort. Shay Whitcomb doubled to begin the game, which also extended his hitting streak to 15 consecutive games. Two batters later, Matt Barefoot hit an RBI double to plate Whitcomb and give Asheville the early advantage. Luke Berryhill reached on an error that scored Barefoot and Enmanuel Valdez capped the frame with an RBI single; his 60th RBI of the year.
Starting pitcher Tyler Brown worked around a couple of early walks to keep the Braves off the scoreboard. Brown settled in and pitched five shutout innings with seven strikeouts. Rome managed only three hits off the Asheville right-hander.
Barefoot struck again for the Tourists in the top of the fifth. His RBI single tat brought in Wilyer Abreu made the score 4-0. The Braves answered in the bottom of the sixth with a pair of Home Runs that included a game-tying three-run shot.
Asheville regained the lead in the top of the eighth on a clutch RBI single by JC Correa. The Tourists held the one-run advantage over the final two innings with Tommy Dejuneas coming through on the mound. Dejuneas struck out Logan Brown with the bases-loaded in the bottom of the ninth to seal the win.
Asheville and Rome will face off in game two of the series Wednesday night at 7:00pm ET.
• Discuss this story on the High-A East League message board...
High-A East League Stories from July 27, 2021
- Hunt Goes Deep Twice in 9-3 Hot Rods Win over IronBirds on Tuesday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Fast Start Propels Tourists to a Win in Rome - Asheville Tourists
- Cyclones Hit Record 6 HRs in 14-5 Win - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Late Score Lifts Asheville to Series-Opening Win in Rome - Rome Braves
- Drive Game Postponed; Doubleheader Wednesday at 5:00 - Greenville Drive
- Tuesday's Series Opener Postponed - Hickory Crawdads
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (July 27) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Braves Beaten Five Times in Bowling Green - Rome Braves
- Toby Keith "Country Comes to Town Tour" to Take Stage at Bowling Green Ballpark on October 2nd - Bowling Green Hot Rods
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.