Farrell Nets Game-Winner as Blue Coats Top Long Island
WILMINGTON - The Delaware Blue Coats (13-19), the NBA G League affiliate of the Philadelphia 76ers, defeated the Long Island Nets (21-12), 109-107, on a Matt Farrell game-winning layup with 1.1 seconds remaining on Thursday night at 76ers Fieldhouse. The victory came in front of a sellout crowd for the team's Black History Month Celebration game.
Rashad Vaughn paced the Blue Coats with a game-high 25 points (10-18 fg, 3-8 3fg, 2-2 ft) in 34 minutes. Jared Brownridge poured in 21 points (8-18 fg, 4-9 3fg, 1-1 ft) and dished out six assists in 36 minutes. Justin Patton, in his second consecutive game on assignment from the 76ers, tallied 14 points (7-13 fg, 0-1 3fg, 0-2 ft), nine rebounds and three blocks in 14 minutes as a reserve.
Farrell finished with 13 points (5-14 fg, 3-7 3fg), six rebounds and nine assists in 34 minutes for the home team. D.J. Hogg's blocked shot with less than 30 seconds remaining gave the Blue Coats possession with the ball in Farrell's hands.
"That's a play we run fairly often," said head coach Connor Johnson. "It's kind of like a 'choose your own' story. We could have called a timeout and then let them set their defense, but we've worked on these plays a lot. The guys know what to do and at the end it's Matt [Farrell] making a read."
The Blue Coats trailed 52-51 at halftime and by four points heading into the fourth quarter. The team committed a season-low 11 turnovers in the win.
Brooklyn Nets two-way contract player Alan Williams led the way for Long Island with 19 points (7-16 fg, 0-3 3fg, 5-8 ft) and 14 rebounds in 30 minutes. Mitchell Creek, on assignment from Brooklyn, posted 18 points (8-11 fg, 2-2 ft) and eight rebounds in 35 minutes. Theo Pinson, also on a two-way contract with Brooklyn, added 15 points (6-18 fg, 1-6 3fg, 2-2 ft), three rebounds and four assists in a game-high 37 minutes.
The Blue Coats return to 76ers Fieldhouse for a Saturday night meeting with the Iowa Wolves at 7:00 p.m. For more information on this "Scout Night" theme night or to purchase tickets, please visit SIXERS.COM/BlueCoats.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 7, 2019
- Warrick Powers Wolves over Clippers at Home - Iowa Wolves
- Shorthanded Clips Fall to Wolves - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Red Claws End Swarm Streak - Greensboro Swarm
- Farrell Nets Game-Winner as Blue Coats Top Long Island - Delaware Blue Coats
- Hot-Shooting Red Claws Roll Past Swarm - Maine Red Claws
- Mitch Creek Rejoins Long Island Nets - Long Island Nets
- Limited Tickets Remaining for this Saturday's Windy City Bulls Home Game - Windy City Bulls
- Mad Ants Hold on for OT Win against Capital City - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Hornets Assign Bacon and Graham to Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Blue Coats to Host Black History Month Celebration Game - Delaware Blue Coats
- Santa Cruz Warriors Defeat Stockton Kings 95-88; Six Sea Dubs Reach Double Figures - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Wisconsin's Late Comeback Falls Short as Raptors Claim Win - Wisconsin Herd
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delaware Blue Coats Stories
- Delaware Blue Coats Basketball Operations Announces New Staff Additions
- Delaware Blue Coats Acquire Returning Player Rights to Doral Moore from Memphis Hustle
- Delaware Blue Coats Announce 2019-20 Promotional Schedule
- Matt Lilly Promoted to Blue Coats General Manager
- Delaware Blue Coats Acquire Returning Player Rights to Xavier Munford from Wisconsin Herd