Erie SeaWolves vs. Altoona Curve - Game Notes
ERIE SEAWOLVES (16-15, 3RD WEST, 6.5 GB 1st Half) VS. ALTOONA CURVE (18-16, 2ND WEST, 6.0 GB 1st Half)
LOGAN SHORE (1-2, 4.05 ERA) VS. JAMES MARVEL (3-3, 3.07 ERA)
SUNDAY, MAY 12 * 2:00 PM EDT * BROADCAST: FOX SPORTS RADIO 1330 AM, SEAWOLVES.COM, MILB.TV
PNG FIELD * GAME #32 * ROAD GAME #13 * DAY GAME #11
Today, the Erie SeaWolves seek to salvage the series finale versus the Altoona Curve. Erie fell by a run in game two, 2-1, dropping the first series against Altoona in 2019. Logan Shore will get the starting nod after being activated from the 7-day IL earlier this morning. Last time he pitched, Shore took the loss on April 28 at Trenton, allowing four runs in 5.0 innings. He tied a career-high with three walks for a third straight start. Detroit's No. 16 overall prospect made his first start of the season, at UPMC Park, versus Altoona, taking a loss in a 5.0-inning outing, giving up four runs on eight hits (HR) and striking out five. James Marvel toes the rubber for the Curve, coming off allowing a season-high six earned runs on 10 hits, on May 6 vs. Bowie. In two starts against Erie this season, Marvel has lost both decisions, going 12.1 IP and allowing seven runs with nine strikeouts.
MONDAY VS. RICHMOND FLYING SQUIRRELS (SF GIANTS) - 6:05 P.M.
RHP Alex Faedo (2-1, 3.09 ERA) vs. RHP Brandon Lawson (0-0, 4.63 ERA)
TUESDAY VS. RICHMOND FLYING SQUIRRELS (SF GIANTS) - 6:05 P.M.
RHP Anthony Castro (1-0, 4.42 ERA) vs. LHP Caleb Baragar (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
WEDNESDAY VS. RICHMOND FLYING SQUIRRELS (SF GIANTS) - 10:35 A.M.
RHP Casey Mize (2-0, 0.95 ERA) vs. RHP Alfred Gutierrez (0-2, 4.76 ERA)
- The roster includes nine, Top 30 prospects, according to MLB Pipeline, and one member of the Detroit Tigers 40-man roster
- INF Isaac Paredes is the No. 4 overall prospect, C Jake Rogers is No. 13, and OF Jose Azocar is No. 29.
- INF Sergio Alcantara is a 40-man member, Alcantara is No. 15 prospect
- The starting rotation now boasts four Top-30 Tigers talents: RHP Casey Mize is ranked the No.1 prospect, RHP Matt Man-ning is No. 2, Alex Faedo sits at No. 10 and Logan Shore is No. 16
- The bullpen features returner and No. 24 prospect Anthony Castro
- Two former SeaWolves (LHP's Gregory Soto & Nick Ramirez) made their MLB-debut's last night (5/12) at Minnesota
- Erie and Altoona are locked at 4-4 in the seasons series with the run distribution nearly even as well (25-24, ALT +1)
- The Curve lead the league with 264 hits and the SeaWolves allowed a season-high 15 in game one (5/10)
- SeaWolves scored 13 runs on Thursday, the second-highest run total in 2019 (16 on 4/7 vs. TRE)
- The SeaWolves went 9-11 vs. the Curve in 2018 and 4-5 at PNG Field
- Entering 5/9, the bullpen had allowed one ER in their previous 33.2 IP, last two games they've allowed 11 ER in 10.0 IP
- RHP Casey Mize was named EL Pitcher of the Week for the week of 4/28-5/5 (2-0, 0.00 ERA, 14 IP, 11 K, 1 BB, No-hitter)
- After hitting just 11 home runs through the first 23 games of the season, Erie has now slugged 10 in the last seven games
- Manning's outing on 5/5 was the 10th time this season an Erie starter has gone 5.0+ innings without allowing an ER
- Erie now has four multi-error games this season (5/9 vs. AKR, 5/2 vs. BOW, 4/20 vs. BNG, 4/9 vs. ALT), they have commit-ted the second-fewest errors (18), only behind Altoona (15)
- Casey Mize threw the third 9.0 inning no-hitter in franchise history (4th no-hitter) on 4/29 at Altoona -- the others were Thad Weber on August 22, 2009 & Elvin Hernandez on August 24, 1995
- Erie RHP Alex Faedo was named EL Pitcher of the Week for the week of 4/22-28 (1-0, 7 IP, 0 H, 5 K, 1 BB)
- SeaWolves have been swept twice in 2019 (vs. BNG 4/18-20 & at TRE 4/26-28) - Swept seven times in 2018
- Erie pitching ranks 3rd in the league in team ERA (3.15), Altoona is 8th (3.65)
- Altoona's pitching has walked the least batters in the league (89), while Erie is 4th-fewest (100)
- Erie leads the Eastern League with a team batting average of .260 (2nd in Double-A), while Altoona is 3rd in the EL at .247
- Erie's pitching staff has 25 HRA (4th most), Altoona has allowed 35 home runs (2nd-most)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 12, 2019
- Curve Denied Sweep of SeaWolves in Blowout Loss - Altoona Curve
- Erie Salvages the Series with 14-4 Mother's Day Victory - Erie SeaWolves
- Pearson, Fisher Cats Return Home Monday - Wednesday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Akron RubberDucks at Reading Fightin Phils Postponed to June 19 - Akron RubberDucks
- Rain Washes Away Series Finale - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Senators and Hartford Postponed in Hartford Sunday - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs and Thunder Postponed on Sunday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Thunder and Sea Dogs Rained out Sunday - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins and RubberDucks Postponed - Reading Fightin Phils
- Hartford Yard Goats Game Postponed - Hartford Yard Goats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.