Curve Denied Sweep of SeaWolves in Blowout Loss
CURVE, Pa. - The Altoona Curve's bid for a three-game sweep was spoiled as the Erie SeaWolves broke out for a 14-4 win on Sunday at Peoples Natural Gas Field.
The SeaWolves (17-15) held a 5-3 lead going into the top of the sixth when they sent 10 men to the plate and exploded for six runs. Kade Scivicque brought in the first run of the inning with an RBI double and Jose Azocar capped the rally with a two-run single, giving the SeaWolves an 11-3 lead.
Curve starter James Marvel (Loss, 3-4) was tagged for a season-high eight runs on seven hits and four walks in 5.1 innings. Marvel gave up three runs in the first inning as well as the first three runs of Erie's six-run sixth.
The Curve managed four runs on eight hits in the blowout loss. Hunter Owen collected two hits, including an RBI double, and Jerrick Suiter, who has hit safely in nine of 10 games, plated two runs. Logan Hill reached base safely all four times at the plate with a single, double and two walks, and Jason Delay extended his on-base streak to 11 games and his hitting streak to six games with his eighth-inning double.
SeaWolves starter Logan Shore (Win, 2-2) got the job done in his return from the injured list, going five innings while allowing three runs on five hits.
The Curve bullpen wasn't much better after Marvel was pulled from the game. Yeudy Garcia surrendered five runs on five hits in 1.2 innings of work and Vicente Campos gave up one run in two frames. Offensively, the Curve hit into three ground-ball double plays (four total) and had two runners thrown out trying to stretch singles into doubles in the loss.
The Curve head to Binghamton tomorrow to open a three-game series with the Rumble Ponies at 6:35 p.m. Right-hander Pedro Vasquez (3-0, 2.73) is scheduled to start for the Curve while Binghamton's starter is TBD.
After a quick trip to Binghamton, the Curve return home for a four-game home series with the Harrisburg Senators from Thursday to Sunday, May 16-19. For tickets or more information, visit AltoonaCurve.com, call 877.99.CURVE or stop by the PNG Field box office. Additionally, the Stockyard Team Store is open Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., during every home game and online 24/7/365.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 12, 2019
- Curve Denied Sweep of SeaWolves in Blowout Loss - Altoona Curve
- Erie Salvages the Series with 14-4 Mother's Day Victory - Erie SeaWolves
- Pearson, Fisher Cats Return Home Monday - Wednesday - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Akron RubberDucks at Reading Fightin Phils Postponed to June 19 - Akron RubberDucks
- Rain Washes Away Series Finale - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Senators and Hartford Postponed in Hartford Sunday - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs and Thunder Postponed on Sunday - Portland Sea Dogs
- Thunder and Sea Dogs Rained out Sunday - Trenton Thunder
- Fightins and RubberDucks Postponed - Reading Fightin Phils
- Hartford Yard Goats Game Postponed - Hartford Yard Goats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.