Energy FC on Road against Rival San Antonio Tomorrow Night
Energy FC (10th, 9-9-10, 37 points) are back on the road after a 3-1 loss at home to New Mexico United. Deshorn Brown recorded his 12th goal of the season in the defeat to extend his team lead.
Next up is a matchup with familiar foe, San Antonio FC (9-11-7, 13th, 34 points). Energy FC and SAFC have met nine times since 2015, with the sides playing to seven draws. The only win for San Antonio came last season at Taft Stadium, as the visitors left with a 2-1 win. The most famous match between the clubs ended with an OKC victory - the 2017 Western Conference Semi-final. After a 1-1 draw after extra time, the Greens advanced via a penalty shootout to book a spot in the Western Conference Final for the second time in club history.
San Antonio had been enjoying a resurgence up until their last two outings. Prior to defeats away to the Tacoma Defiance and Phoenix Rising FC, SAFC picked up five wins and two draws in the previous eight matches to enter the playoff conversation.
A big reason for the turn in form is due to the stellar play of Cristian Parano. The 20-year-old Argentine, who spent his youth career at both Boja Juniors and River Plate, recorded five goals in five appearances on his way to earning a USL Championship Player of the Month nomination for August.
Now that the latest Concacaf Nations League matches are in the books, Josh Garcia, Alvin Jones and Je-Vaughn Watson should be available for selection at the weekend, after the trio impressed for their countries.
Midfielder Kal Okot could be sidelined for a bit after being involved in a car accident last weekend that caused him to miss the match against New Mexico. There has been no timetable provided for his return yet.
Deshorn Brown still leads OKC with 12 goals, Omar Gordon has the most assists with seven, and Cody Laurendi is now at a league-leading 89 saves.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 13, 2019
- Memphis 901 FC Picks up Third-Straight Win - Memphis 901 FC
- Legion FC's Unbeaten Streak Ends at Nine - Birmingham Legion FC
- Loudoun United Fall to Memphis 901 FC 1-2 at Home - Loudoun United FC
- STLFC Wins 2-0 Away to Birmingham Legion FC - Saint Louis FC
- Reno 1868 FC Travels to Texas for Battle with Austin Bold - Reno 1868 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Announces Auction of Noche de Locos Gameday Jerseys Worn by Team During September 21st Match - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Match at Nissan Tabbed as GOAL Program Night for Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC Hosts OKC Energy FC in Crucial Playoff Push Matchup - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: RGV FC Heads West to Face Sacramento Republic FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Alston Finds Home, Happiness in USL - Orange County SC
- Nashville SC to Offer Fan-Friendly Pricing on Drinks for Remaining Matches at First Tennessee Park - Nashville SC
- San Antonio FC Signs Forward Tony Taylor - San Antonio FC
- Phoenix Rising Welcomes Los Dos to Casino Arizona Field - Phoenix Rising FC
- STLFC Partners with Consort Homes - Saint Louis FC
- Join Nashville SC at Green Hills Park Festival this Saturday, September 14 - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Hosts Portland Timbers 2 Saturday in Pivotal Western Conference Clash - Real Monarchs SLC
- Match Preview: #TBRvATL - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Johnson out with Broken Foot - Charlotte Independence
- Preview: Lights, Camera, Action - Hartford Athletic
- North Carolina FC Heads West for Test at Swope Park Rangers - North Carolina FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Tampa Bay Rowdies - Atlanta United 2
- Preview: Indy Eleven Looks to Continue Trek to the Top vs. Bethlehem Steel FC - Indy Eleven
- Energy FC on Road against Rival San Antonio Tomorrow Night - OKC Energy FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.