El Paso Tops Round Rock 12-3 in Series Opener
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Round Rock Express (21-18) fell 12-3 against the El Paso Chihuahuas (17-23) during Tuesday night's series opener at Dell Diamond.
Round Rock starter RHP Kyle Cody (0-3, 6.83) went home with the loss after allowing eight runs, seven of which were earned, on nine hits during his 3.0 innings on the mound. El Paso starter RHP Anderson Espinoza (2-2, 5.46) claimed the win after 6.0 innings that saw just one run on four hits with seven strikeouts.
Along the Train Tracks:
El Paso got the action going early with a five spot in the top of the first inning. Three consecutive singles from CF David Dahl, SS José Iglesias and 1B Alfonso Rivas loaded the bases before 3B Tim Lopes cleared them with a double. Lopes scored on a Preston Tucker double and Tucker came home as DH Rangel Ravelo singled.
Round Rock made it a 5-1 game in the second when RF Elier Hernandez hit a solo home run.
The Chihuahuas kept the offense going in the third inning. A two-run home run from Rivas made it 7-1 before Lopes rounded the bases thanks to an Express error, stolen base, Tucker single and Matthew Batten groundout.
El Paso increased their lead to 12-1 with one run in the fifth and three in the sixth. In the fifth, three walks loaded the bases before Ravelo scored as Dahl grounded into a double play. Four straight singles, a sacrifice fly and a force out plated three runners in the sixth inning.
Round Rock added one run in both the eighth and ninth innings. The eighth saw C Matt Whatley single then score as SS Jonathan Ornelas hit a double. In the ninth, Hernandez knocked a leadoff single, moved to second on defensive indifference then found home on a single from LF Josh Sale for a 12-3 score.
Relievers RHP Chase Lee and RHP Fer Ozuna posted shutout outings on Tuesday. Lee tossed 2.0 innings that saw two hits and three strikeouts while Ozuna threw 1.0 inning and punched out two batters.
Express SS Jonathan Ornelas and RF Elier Hernandez both tallied multiple hits and finished 2-for-4. Each had one RBI while Hernandez scored two runs.
With the loss on Tuesday, Round Rock's losing streak sits at eight overall, dating back to May 7 in Reno. The team's home losing streak of seven games is the most since the Express dropped seven home games during the 2018 season spanning July 27-August 12. The team played seven games on the road during the stretch.
Next up: Round Rock and El Paso face off for game two of the series on Wednesday, with first pitch at Dell Diamond slated for 7:05 p.m. Express RHP Cole Winn (1-3, 7.88) is scheduled to make the start up against Chihuahuas RHP Julio Teherán (3-2, 6.17).
Single game tickets as well as full season and mini seasonmembership plans are on sale now. For more information about the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Subscribe to the E-Train email newsletter and keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 17, 2023
- Bees' Comeback Falls Short - Salt Lake Bees
- Tacoma Rainiers Game Notes: at ABQ (5:35 PT) - Tacoma Rainiers
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 17, 2023 - Oklahoma City Baseball Club
- Reno Aces Announce Promotions for June of the 2023 Home Schedule - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Overwhelm Rainiers in Series Opener, 17-8 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Bees Complete Wild Comeback Tuesday Night - Salt Lake Bees
- Dodgers' Earn 4-3 Walk-Off Win - Oklahoma City Baseball Club
- 'Topes Run Past Rainiers in Classic Albuquerque Affa - Tacoma Rainiers
- Dodgers Come Back to Down Space Cowboys in Opener - Sugar Land Space Cowboys
- El Paso Trounces Round Rock 12-3 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso Tops Round Rock 12-3 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express to Host Job Fair on Saturday, March 2
- Round Rock Express Announce Front Office Promotions and Additions
- Round Rock Express National Anthem Auditions Return on February 6
- Round Rock Express Announce 2024 Coaching Staff
- New LED Video Boards Installed at Dell Diamond Ahead of 2024 Season