Eight Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call-Ups
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that eight of the club's players have received international call-ups from their respective federations ahead of next week's FIFA international window. The list of Union players called up is as follows: Brenden Aaronson, Matt Freese, Mark McKenzie, Auston Trusty (all United States Under-23), Andre Blake (Jamaica), Warren Creavalle (Guyana), Marco Fabian (Mexico) and Olivier Mbaizo (Cameroon Under-23).
Aaronson, Freese, McKenzie, and Trusty are among the group of players called in for a United States U-23 training camp in Chula Vista, California, set to be held from September 1-10. The U-23 MNT is preparing for the 2020 Concacaf Olympic Qualifying Championship this spring, and will play Japan in a friendly (September 9) at the Chula Vista Elite Athlete Training Center as part of the camp. The Union are tied with Real Salt Lake for the most representation at the camp (four players).
Aaronson and Trusty previously joined the U-23s for a camp in Herriman, Utah from June 9-16, 2019. These are Freese and McKenzie's first call-ups at the U-23 level.
Blake, meanwhile, joins Jamaica ahead of two Concacaf Nations League contests: vs. Antigua and Barbuda (September 6) and at Guyana (September 9). These two matches are Jamaica's debut in the 2019-20 Concacaf Nations League B, which consists of a double round robin among four teams in one group. The team atop the group after all matches are played earns promotion to League A for the 2021-22 cycle.
The Union goalkeeper is a stalwart for the Jamaican national team, serving as the Reggae Boyz' captain. He has earned 42 caps for the side, last representing them at the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup, which saw Jamaica advance to the semifinals.
Creavalle also departs ahead of two matches in the 2019-20 Concacaf Nations League B, as the Union midfielder's Golden Jaguars will play at Aruba (September 6) and vs. Jamaica (September 9). Creavalle has earned five caps for his country. His last call-up came ahead of the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup, but the midfielder missed out due to injury.
Fabian is set to join Mexico ahead of two friendlies: at the United States in East Rutherford, New Jersey (September 6) and vs. Argentina in San Antonio, Texas (September 10). While with the Union, Fabian previously joined El Tri for a training camp ahead of the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup, but had to withdraw due to injury. He has totaled 42 senior caps with Mexico to date.
Finally, Mbaizo is set to join the Cameroon Under-23s as the side attempts to qualify for the 2019 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations. The Indomitable Lions take on Tunisia in a two-legged tie in the Third Round of qualifying, with the first match at Cameroon (September 6) and the second at Tunisia (September 10). Should Cameroon advance on aggregate from this round, they would qualify for the final tournament, set to be held in Egypt from November 8-22. Mbaizo last joined the Cameroon U-23s in late 2018 during the First Round of this qualification, helping the team advance over Chad. He has also earned one senior cap for Cameroon.
The Union take on Atlanta United FC on Saturday at Talen Energy Stadium in a clash between the top two teams in the Eastern Conference (7:30 p.m. ET / PHL17). All eight players called up will depart to join their national teams following tomorrow's match.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 30, 2019
- Impact Hosts D.C. United Saturday Night at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Sporting Signs Homegrown Midfielder Felipe Hernandez - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Visits the Portland Timbers on Saturday - Real Salt Lake
- San Jose Earthquakes Head Coach Matias Almeyda Suspended and Fined for On-Field Misconduct - MLS
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Chicago Fire at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Homegrown Quartet Called into National Team Camp - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake GK David Ochoa Called to U.S. U-20 National Team - Real Salt Lake
- Six Loons Called up for International Duties - Minnesota United FC
- Eight Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Djordje Mihailovic Named to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Roster - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Foursome Invited to U.S. U-20 National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- Mason Toye and Hassani Dotson Called up to Us U23 National Team - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United Loan Chris Durkin to Sint-Truidense V.V. in Belgium - D.C. United
- #FCDvCIN: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo Midfielder Darwin Ceren Named to El Salvador National Team - Houston Dynamo
- Three Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Toronto FC - New England Revolution
- Real Salt Lake FW Sam Johnson Called to Liberian National Team - Real Salt Lake
- MLS 2020: the Build Up - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Philadelphia Union - Atlanta United FC
- Revolution Announce Academy Roster, Residency Program Ahead of 2019-20 Season - New England Revolution
- Houston Dynamo Defender Jose Bizama Named to Chilean National Team - Houston Dynamo
- By the Numbers: Lions Face the Quakes - Orlando City SC
- Preview: Sporting Ends Homestand Saturday vs. Houston - Sporting Kansas City
- New England Revolution Hire Chris Tierney as Player Recruitment Manager - New England Revolution
- Dave Sanford and Gus Teren Promoted to Academy Director and Technical Director - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Union claim first place in Eastern Conference; Sergio Santos nets hat-trick
- Philadelphia Union and Southern New Hampshire University Host Third Annual Rompe Las Barreras Job Shadow Program
- Anthony Fontana scores third game winning goal this season for Union
- Philadelphia Union Acquire International Roster Spot from Montreal Impact
- Philadelphia Union Agree to Record-Breaking Transfer of Homegrown Midfielder Brenden Aaronson to UEFA Champions League Club FC Red Bull Salzburg