Edmonds Shuts Door on Bulldogs
Hamilton, ON - The Mississauga Steelheads made the short trip to Hamilton on Saturday afternoon for the second half of a home-and-home series.
It was a physical first period, as both teams traded opportunities on the powerplay, but neither the Steelheads nor Bulldogs were able to score. Mississauga and Hamilton headed to the first intermission tied at zero, with the Steelheads leading in shots on goal 13-7. Keean Washkurak offered his thoughts following the first period "It was basically a special teams battle, both teams going at it hard. We don't really like each other with the rivalry going on back and forth here, with back to back games, but it was a good, hard and fast period between both teams."
The Steelheads had a fantastic opportunity to open the scoring in the second, as Washkurak, Max Dodig and Michael Stubbs came down the ice in a 3-on-0 rush, but Zachary Roy made a fantastic glove save on Dodig to keep the score at zero. With Hamilton on a delayed penalty, Richard Whittaker stepped into the slot and wired a wrist shot top shelf to give the Steelheads a 1-0 lead. Duncan Penman increased the lead to two goals as he took a wrist shot from the point that found its way past Roy. At the end of the second, the Steelheads had a 2-0 lead while they held Hamilton to just four shots in the period.
Mississauga continued to defend well in the third, limiting Hamilton's scoring chance opportunities throughout the period. The Steelheads powerplay went back to work, as Hamilton headed to the box for a tripping penalty, but were unable to score. The Bulldogs thought they cut the lead to one, but the ref blew the whistle before the puck crossed the line, waving it off. Richard Whittaker thought he scored an empty netter, only to have the goal waved off due to an offside, before finally scoring the empty netter from his own zone off the ensuing faceoff. The Steelheads would hold on to defeat the Bulldogs by a final score of a 3-0.
Kai Edmonds recorded his first shutout of the season, making 20 saves to lead the Steelheads to victory. Richard Whittaker added two points (2G), while Duncan Penman added a goal to tie a career high in goals in a season.
1st star - Kai Edmonds (20/20, 1.000 SV%)
2nd star - Richard Whittaker (2G)
3rd star - Zachary Roy (38/40, .950 SV%)
Join the Steelheads at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre on Sunday, December 8th for our 8th Annual Teddy Bear Toss game against the Soo Greyhounds. After the game, don't forget to bring your skates as there will be a post-game family skate and autograph session with your favourite Steelheads players. Tickets to the game can be purchased by visiting the Box Office, online through ticketmaster.ca or by calling 905-502-9100.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 7, 2019
- Attack Lose Goaltending Battle 3-2 in Shootout to Rangers - Owen Sound Attack
- Final Minute Goal by Captain Akil Closes out 6-5 Win on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Niagara IceDogs
- Shorthanded Spirit Lineup Shutout by Spitfires - Saginaw Spirit
- Rangers Edge the Attack in a Shootout, 3-2 - Kitchener Rangers
- Spits Beat Spirit 3-0 - Windsor Spitfires
- Game Preview: London Knights at Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
- Edmonds Shuts Door on Bulldogs - Mississauga Steelheads
- Edmonds Shutout Leads Steelheads To Victory Over Hamilton - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Preview: Ã¢ÂÂHoly Big Game, BatmanÃ¢ÂÂ Spirit Seek Sole Possession of Division Lead on CAN Council Superhero Night at the Dow - Saginaw Spirit
- Teddy Bears Fly Amidst Lose to the Attack - London Knights
- Spirit Set Team Record, Scoring 11 Goals in Sarnia - Saginaw Spirit
- Canadians Return to the OHL and Dominate the Petes - Kingston Frontenacs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississauga Steelheads Stories
- Trout Stay Hot Despite Winter Storm
- Steelheads Wagon Barrels Through Oshawa
- The Real Superhero
- On the Road Again
- Steelheads to Host 8th Annual Bell Let's Talk Game