ECHL's North Division Enacts COVID Voluntary Suspension and Plans 2021-22 Return
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals (@readingroyals) announced the team will opt out of competition in the 2020-21 season under the ECHL's COVID Voluntary Suspension Policy. The Royals will return for the team's 20th anniversary season in 2021-22.
All six ECHL North Division teams - Adirondack, Brampton, Maine, Newfoundland, Reading and Worcester - opted out for the 2020-21 campaign.
General Manager David Farrar: "We have determined that in the best interest of community safety and the Royals' long-term success, it is necessary to turn our focus towards 2021-22. We will be back for our 20th anniversary season and know Berks County will rally around our team once fans are allowed back in the building. The Royals have been a staple in this community for two decades and we look forward to providing our fan base a top-notch and affordable family-friendly experience when we return to the ice."
The Royals rely on ticket and sponsorship revenue and current government restrictions hinder the team's ability to conduct business.
Head Coach Kirk MacDonald: "COVID-19 has affected all of us in Berks County and that includes professional sports. Today is difficult day for everyone in the Royals organization, from the players and coaching staff to everyone in our front office. Although the decision for the Royals to sit out the 2020-21 season is a difficult one, we know it is right. We will now begin to focus our attention on the 2021-22 season and continue to build on the solid foundation the Royals and BCCCA established during the 2019-20 season. Can't wait to see everyone next October!"
The Royals staff will be in touch with all 2020-21 plan holders to discuss membership options in the coming weeks.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 18, 2020
- Brampton Beast Season Update - Brampton Beast
- Forward Seamus Malone Signs with Indy - Indy Fuel
- Swamp Rabbits Ink Goaltender John Lethemon - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL's North Division Enacts COVID Voluntary Suspension and Plans 2021-22 Return - Reading Royals
- Adirondack Thunder Issue Statement on Opt out of 2020-21 Season - Adirondack Thunder
- MEDIA RELEASE: Growlers to Opt-Out of 2020-21 ECHL Season - Newfoundland Growlers
- Cyclones Sign Yushiroh Hirano - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL North Division Elects Suspension of Play, Mariners Issue Statement - Maine Mariners
- Rookie Alex Smith to Join Everblades - Florida Everblades
- Gillam Returns for Second Season - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers Sign Dane Birks & Matt Foley - Wheeling Nailers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- ECHL's North Division Enacts COVID Voluntary Suspension and Plans 2021-22 Return
- Royals Make Important Signing in Talented, Two-Way Forward Scarfo
- Suter Agrees to ECHL Deal, Royals Forward Group Coming into Focus
- ECHL Confirms Start Date for 2020-21 Season
- Reading Puts Final Touches on Deal with G Ruck