Eberle named CHL Player of the Year
The Canadian Hockey League announced today Regina Pats forward and Edmonton Oilers' prospect Jordan Eberle has been named the 2009-10 CHL Player of the Year.
Eberle enjoyed an outstanding 2009-10 WHL season, despite his Regina Pats not qualifying for the WHL playoffs. The 19-year-old from Regina, SK, scored 50 goals and added 56 assists for 106 points in just 57 regular-season games for his hometown team to finish second in WHL scoring. Eberle's 1.86 points-per-game average marked the highest points-per-game average for any WHL player since the 1998-99 season.
The 5'11", 184-lb forward finished tied for second among all WHL players with 19 power play goals, and also tied for second in shorthanded goals with six on the season. In addition, Eberle was selected among the 3 Stars in 26 of 57 games he played, earning the 1st Star selection 13 times. The leading goal-scorer in the history of Canada's National Junior team, Eberle recorded at least one point in 50 of 57 games he played for Regina this season, and was held pointless in consecutive games on only two occasions all season.
Drafted in the first round (22nd overall) by the Edmonton Oilers in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Eberle has piled up 155 goals and 155 assists for 310 points in 254 games through his four years with the Pats. He was selected by the Pats in the seventh round (126th overall) in the 2005 WHL Bantam Draft.
Eberle also played in 11 games with the Springfield Falcons of the American Hockey League where he scored six goals and added eight assists for 14 points.
Eberle is fresh off representing his country once again joining Team Canada for the 2010 IIHF World Hockey Championship. In four games he notched a goal and three assists for four points.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 22, 2010
- Memorial Cup Jersey Action Continues - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings' Commemorative Jersey Auction Closes Tuesday Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Eberle named CHL Player of the Year - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Bast Named Sportsman Of The Year - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Jordan Eberle is the CHL Player of the Year - Regina Pats
- Wheat Kings Set for Rematch - Brandon Wheat Kings
- EA Sports NHL 11 to Include All Teams and Players from the WHL, OHL and QMJHL - Kelowna Rockets
- Championship Final Tickets Added - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Score Semi Final Win - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Eliminated from 2010 Mastercard Memorial Cup - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Oil Kings and CMHA Edmonton Partner for Talk Today on January 28, 2020
- Oil Kings Register WHL Season-High 62 Shots on Goal in 5-3 Win over Broncos
- Oil Kings Sign Jayden Henderson to WHL Standard Player Agreement
- Sawchuk Buries First Career Hat Trick as Oil Kings Tame Tigers, 4-2
- Oil Kings Earn Single Point in Overtime Loss to Raiders