Jordan Eberle is the CHL Player of the Year
Brandon, Manitoba - Jordan Eberle finishes a fantastic season by winning the 2010 Canadian Hockey League's Player of the Year this afternoon.
He beat out the Red Tilson Trophy (OHL player of the year) winner, Tyler Seguin of the Plymouth Whalers and the Michel Briere Memorial Trophy (QMJHL player of the year) winner, Mike Hoffman of the St. John Sea Dogs at the CHL Awards Dinner at the Memorial Cup in Brandon.
This is the third time that a member of the Regina Pats has won the CHL Player of the year as Eberle joins former winners Ed Staniowski (1974-75) and Doug Wickenhieser (1979-80).
In just 57 games this season, Eberle was second in WHL scoring with 106 points and was also second in goals with 50. He was the first Pat player to hit the 50 goal plateau since Ronald Petrovicky scored 64 in 1997-98.
Eberle was also a unanimous pick as a 1st team Eastern Conference all-star for the second time in his career (the first was in 2007-08) and was named the Four Broncos Memorial Award winner as the WHL's player of the year, beating out the Vancouver Giants Craig Cunningham.
Regina Pats General Manager, Brent Parker, "this is a tremendous moment for Jordan and our organization and he certainly deserves of all the accolades that he receives. I have said all along that as good a player as Jordan is, he is even a better person and it great to see him finally rewarded for all he has done for the Regina Pats and the Western Hockey League."
Jordan could not be in Brandon after competing for Canada at the World Hockey Championships in Germany. In 4 games, he had a goal and 3 assists and was a +2, with all of the points coming in a 12-1 win over Norway.
Eberle did pass on the following, "I am humbled to win this award and to join the amazing list of players that have come before me and put their name on this prestigious trophy. Hockey is a team sport and if it wasn't for my teammates on the ice, the coaching staff behind the bench and the front office, none of this could have been possible. This is a great way to cap off the season and my junior hockey career."
For phone interview requests, please contact Dan Plaster at 527-0865.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 22, 2010
- Memorial Cup Jersey Action Continues - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings' Commemorative Jersey Auction Closes Tuesday Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Eberle named CHL Player of the Year - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Bast Named Sportsman Of The Year - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Jordan Eberle is the CHL Player of the Year - Regina Pats
- Wheat Kings Set for Rematch - Brandon Wheat Kings
- EA Sports NHL 11 to Include All Teams and Players from the WHL, OHL and QMJHL - Kelowna Rockets
- Championship Final Tickets Added - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Score Semi Final Win - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calgary Hitmen Eliminated from 2010 Mastercard Memorial Cup - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Regina Pats Stories
- Pats Edge Red Deer on Teddy Bear Toss Night
- Game Day Preview: Pats Return Home to Host Red Deer Saturday Night
- Krane Lifts Pats to a Point in OT Loss
- Game Day Preview: Pats Conclude Seven-Game Road Stretch in Winnipeg Friday
- Pats to Host Teddy Bear Toss Night Saturday