Earthquakes, Wells Fargo Present Goals for Education to Offer Scholarships for 17 College-Bound Seniors
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes, Wells Fargo, and Silicon Valley Education Foundation created Goals for Education: a scholarship program for students who demonstrate a commitment to physical health, financial literacy, and STEM education. The program commits $500 from Wells Fargo for every goal the Quakes score during the regular season.
"The Quakes are a proud supporter of our community and the pursuit of higher education," said Earthquakes Chief Operating Officer Jared Shawlee. "Partnering with Wells Fargo and the Silicon Valley Education Foundation has given us a platform to enrich the lives of many deserving students."
During the 2018 season, the Earthquakes scored 49 goals, their second most in a single season since returning to Major League Soccer in 2008. Earning $500 per goal, the Quakes raised $24,500 with Wells Fargo adding an additional $1,000. This year, 17 scholarships of $1,500 will be awarded to college-bound seniors to help support their STEM-focused academic careers.
"Wells Fargo values the pursuit of higher education, and that is one of the reasons we've partnered with the San Jose Earthquakes to invest in the future of each scholarship recipient," said Wells Fargo Silicon Valley Region President Max Seetho. "When students and communities prosper, we all win."
Scholarship applications will be accepted from March 18 to May 1, with the awardees announced on May 17. The recipients will be celebrated on-field when the Quakes take on FC Dallas at Avaya Stadium on Saturday, June 8.
"Silicon Valley Education Foundation is excited to launch the Goals for Education scholarship program with Wells Fargo and the San Jose Earthquakes," said Lisa Andrew, Ed.D., CEO of Silicon Valley Education Foundation. "This scholarship highlights the importance of an informed and healthy lifestyle and will support many of our local college-bound students' future success."
Full eligibility details are below:
- Applicants must be a 2019 graduated or graduating high school senior from a Santa Clara County Public School, and currently living in Santa Clara County, California.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a two-year or four-year college or university for the 2019 fall semester.
- Scholarships are to be used towards tuition, books, supplies, or other academic-related expenses as seen fit by Silicon Valley Education Foundation and must be spent within the 2019-2020 school year.
- Applications must be submitted electronically here.
Eligible School Districts:
- Campbell Union School District
- East Side Union School District
- Fremont Union School District
- Gilroy Unified School District
- Los Gatos-Saratoga Union High School District
- Milpitas Unified School District
- Morgan Hill Unified School District
- Mountain View-Los Altos Union High School District
- Palo Alto Unified School District
- Santa Clara Unified School District
- San Jose Unified School District
*Employees of Wells Fargo, the San Jose Earthquakes, Silicon Valley Education Foundation and members of the immediate family of any such persons are not eligible to participate and win. The term "immediate family" includes spouses, siblings, parents, children, grandparents, and grandchildren, whether as "in-laws," or by current or past marriage(s), remarriage(s), adoption, co-habitation or other family extension, and any other persons residing at the same household whether or not related.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 18, 2019
- MNUFC Celebrates Scarf Raising at Allianz Field - Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo Forwards Alberth Elis and Memo Rodriguez Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Week - D.C. United
- Orlando City SC Loans Pierre Da Silva to Partner Affiliate Club Athletico Paranaense - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Four Tabbed to MLS Team of the Week After Electric Home Opener - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Single-Game Tickets for 2019 Season Go on Sale Tuesday - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes, Wells Fargo Present Goals for Education to Offer Scholarships for 17 College-Bound Seniors - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: March 18, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union tie Atlanta United FC 1-1 - Philadelphia Union
- Russell's Free Kick Delivers Dramatic 1-1 Draw - Sporting Kansas City
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- CEFCU Movie Night Series Returns to Earthquakes Stadium
- Earthquakes Announce Remainder of Regular Season Schedule
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 21, 2020
- Carlos Fierro scores first MLS goal in loss to Portland
- Earthquakes Take on Portland Timbers Tonight