D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Week
March 18, 2019 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - D.C. United forward Wayne Rooney was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the third week of the 2019 MLS season.
Rooney helped D.C. United to a dominant 5-0 victory over Real Salt Lake at Audi Field on Saturday with three goals and one assist, the first hat trick of his MLS career. After posting its third consecutive shutout, D.C. sits tied atop the Eastern Conference with seven points (2-0-1 overall record).
The English icon opened the scoring after converting a penalty kick in the 34th minute to give D.C. United a 1-0 advantage. Moments later, Rooney added a second goal in the 41st minute with a calmly finished flick over the goalkeeper from the center of the box to give D.C. a 2-0 lead.
Rooney completed his hat trick with a tap in directly in front of goal, bringing D.C.'s lead to 3-0 in the 65th minute. Lucas Rodriguez then finished a Rooney corner kick with a stunning first-time volley from the edge of the box in the 76th minute for a 4-0 lead.
D.C. United return to action on Sunday, March 31 when facing Orlando City SC at Orlando City Stadium (6:30 p.m. ET., FS1 / FOX Deportes / FOX Sports Go).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
Images from this story
D.C. United forward Wayne Rooney
(USA Today Sports Images)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 18, 2019
- MNUFC Celebrates Scarf Raising at Allianz Field - Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo Forwards Alberth Elis and Memo Rodriguez Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Week - D.C. United
- Orlando City SC Loans Pierre Da Silva to Partner Affiliate Club Athletico Paranaense - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Four Tabbed to MLS Team of the Week After Electric Home Opener - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Single-Game Tickets for 2019 Season Go on Sale Tuesday - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes, Wells Fargo Present Goals for Education to Offer Scholarships for 17 College-Bound Seniors - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: March 18, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union tie Atlanta United FC 1-1 - Philadelphia Union
- Russell's Free Kick Delivers Dramatic 1-1 Draw - Sporting Kansas City
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.