Four Tabbed to MLS Team of the Week After Electric Home Opener
CINCINNATI - Four FC Cincinnati players have earned places on Major League Soccer's Team of the Week presented by Audi for Week 3. Goalkeeper Spencer Richey earned a place on the Starting XI, Head Coach Alan Koch was tabbed the team's coach, while Kendall Waston and Victor Ulloa drew spots on the seven-player bench.
Every member of the Orange and Blue recognized had stand-out performances on Sunday in FCC's 3-0 win over 2018 MLS Cup finalists Portland Timbers in front of a sell-out crowd of 32,250 at Nippert Stadium and broadcast nationally on FS1.
Richey posted his first MLS win and shutout, making three saves in the 3-0 victory. Included in that was a pair of critical saves in the 32nd minute. The Seattle, Wash., native dove to his left to deny Bill Tuiloma's effort from distance and re-directed the ball over the endline. On the ensuing corner, Richey came up big once again by getting his body in front of a right-footed shot by Dairon Asprilla from point blank range.
Koch maintained the starting lineup from FC Cincinnati's 1-1 draw at Atlanta United FC on March 10. FC Cincinnati's head coach guided the Orange and Blue to their first-ever win, first multi-goal performance and first shutout as an MLS team.
Waston scored FCC's first MLS goal in Cincinnati when he scored from a set piece via a header in the 15th minute. FC Cincinnati's captain was involved in the attack throughout the match and recorded a team-high three shots. Waston played all 90 minutes as FC Cincinnati recorded their first-ever MLS shutout.
Ulloa led all FC Cincinnati players with 69 touches and 53 total passes. In addition, he also completed 86.8 percent of his passes. The Wylie, Texas, native registered three tackles, two clearances and two interceptions for the Orange and Blue.
FC Cincinnati will return to action on Sunday, March 24, when the team travels to Foxborough, Mass., to play the New England Revolution at 4 p.m. The match will be televised locally on WSTR Star64, streamed regionally on FloSports and out of market on ESPN+, and carried on the radio on WDJO, the TuneIn app and fccincinnati.com. Season tickets, mini plans and individual-game tickets are on sale at fccincinnati.com/tickets or by calling 513-977-5425 (KICK).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 18, 2019
- MNUFC Celebrates Scarf Raising at Allianz Field - Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo Forwards Alberth Elis and Memo Rodriguez Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Week - D.C. United
- Orlando City SC Loans Pierre Da Silva to Partner Affiliate Club Athletico Paranaense - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Forward Wayne Rooney Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Four Tabbed to MLS Team of the Week After Electric Home Opener - FC Cincinnati
- Timbers Single-Game Tickets for 2019 Season Go on Sale Tuesday - Portland Timbers
- Earthquakes, Wells Fargo Present Goals for Education to Offer Scholarships for 17 College-Bound Seniors - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: March 18, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union tie Atlanta United FC 1-1 - Philadelphia Union
- Russell's Free Kick Delivers Dramatic 1-1 Draw - Sporting Kansas City
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- FC Cincinnati Announce 2021 Season Ticket Pricing for the Bailey
- FC Cincinnati Launch One Club, One Community, One Goal
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: August 10, 2020
- First six games of FC Cincinnati's continuation of the regular season unveiled
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: August 3, 2020