Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named MLS Player of the Week
SAN JOSE, Calif. - Major League Soccer today announced that San Jose Earthquakes forward Chris Wondolowski has been named the MLS Player of the Week for Week 12. Wondolowski scored four goals on Saturday vs. the Chicago Fire, including the game-winner, becoming just the second player in MLS to score four goals in a match since 2009.
Needing one goal to tie Landon Donovan's all-time MLS goals record, Wondolowski scored four times against a Chicago side that conceded four total goals in their seven prior matches combined. With his performance, he is now the league's all-time leader in goals scored (148) and co-record holder in game-winning goals (41 - Donovan).
The honor is the eighth all-time for Wondolowski, who wins for the first time since Week 31 of the 2012 season. Wondolowski is the fourth Quakes player to earn a nomination for the award this season, but the first to win. He is the first Earthquakes player to receive the honor since Vako in Week 23 in 2018.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 20, 2019
- Two Houston Dynamo Players Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 20, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 20, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- FC Cincinnati Recall Rashawn Dally from Memphis 901 FC - FC Cincinnati
- LA Galaxy to face Orlando City SC this weekend on UniMas - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named MLS Player of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- The Ligue de Football Professionnel Announce That the EA Ligue 1 Games Will be Played at Audi Field - D.C. United
- 40-Man Preliminary Rosters Released for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 20, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati to Plant 20,000 Flower Blooms Around Queen City - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Draws with Los Angeles FC - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes to Face LAFC in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 on June 20
- Vako scores twice, including game-winner, as San Jose advances to Fifth Round
- Earthquakes to Face La Liga Side Real Valladolid on July 16
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: June 10, 2019
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named MLS Player of the Month