Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 20, 2019
San Jose Earthquakes forward Chris Wondolowski became Major League Soccer's all-time leading goal-scorer after tallying a remarkable four goals in Saturday afternoon's 4-1 triumph over the Chicago Fire. Wondolowski became just the second player since 2009 to score four goals in a match and earned Player of the Week honors for his effort. With the win, the Earthquakes are 4-2-2 in their last eight matches and have won four consecutive at home.
The Earthquakes shift their attention to their upcoming road match against Toronto FC on Sunday, May 26. It will be the fourth of a five-game stretch in which the Earthquakes face Eastern Conference opponents. Sunday's meeting at BMO Field is set for 4:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast on NBC Sports California, KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF.
Straight to the Top
Earthquakes forward Chris Wondolowski scored four goals on Saturday, tying and later surpassing Landon Donovan's all-time scoring record of 145. Wondolowski currently has 148 regular season goals.
Forward Chris Wondolowski also tallied his first game-winning goal of the season and 41st of his MLS career. He moved into a tie with Landon Donovan for most game-winning goals in MLS history.
San Jose holds a 4-2-2 record since the start of April, their best eight-match span since the first eight matches of the 2016 season (4-2-2).
Finding a Way
Saturday's victory came against a Chicago side that entered the contest on a three-match unbeaten streak and hadn't allowed a single goal during that span.
Midfielder Shea Salinas tallied his second assist of the season, 48th of his MLS career and 45th as a member of the Earthquakes. He surpassed Richard Mulrooney for second most in club history (Ronald Cerritos - 47). Salinas has assisted on 14 goals by Chris Wondolowski. Only 10 teammates in MLS history have ever connected for more goals.
Forward Chris Wondolowski and midfielder Jackson Yueill received MLS Team of The Week honors for Week 12. Seven different Quakes players (Wondolowski, Espinoza, Godoy, Hoesen, Salinas, Yueill, Lima) have received Team of the Week honors this season, with Yueill being the only one recognized twice (Week 9, Week 12).
Breaking the Lock
The Earthquakes and Toronto FC are deadlocked at 5-5-5 in the all-time series.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 20, 2019
- Two Houston Dynamo Players Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 20, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 20, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- FC Cincinnati Recall Rashawn Dally from Memphis 901 FC - FC Cincinnati
- LA Galaxy to face Orlando City SC this weekend on UniMas - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named MLS Player of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- The Ligue de Football Professionnel Announce That the EA Ligue 1 Games Will be Played at Audi Field - D.C. United
- 40-Man Preliminary Rosters Released for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 20, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati to Plant 20,000 Flower Blooms Around Queen City - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Draws with Los Angeles FC - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.