San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Week
May 20, 2019 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - San Jose Earthquakes forward Chris Wondolowski was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the 12th week of the 2019 MLS season.
Wondolowski scored four goals in the Earthquakes' 4-1 victory over the Chicago Fire on Saturday, becoming the all-time MLS goalscoring leader in the process. With 148 career goals in regular season play, Wondolowski surpassed Landon Donovan in the record books. San Jose sits eighth in the Western Conference with 14 points (4-6-2 overall record).
The U.S. Men's National Team veteran needed one goal to tie Donovan's mark and etched his name into the record books with a goal in the 21st minute to give San Jose a 1-0 lead. Wondolowski then broke the record in the 48th minute to give San Jose a 2-0 advantage with a left-footed shot directly in front of the goalkeeper.
Wondolowski netted his fifth career hat trick, tied for second-most in MLS history, with a goal from the center of the box in the 74th minute. The all-time goalscoring leader capped his record-breaking day by finishing again in the 76th minute for his first ever four-goal game and only the second in MLS since 2010.
San Jose returns to action on Sunday when traveling to face Toronto FC at BMO Field (7:30 p.m. ET, TSN / ESPN+).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
Images from this story
San Jose Earthquakes forward Chris Wondolowski
(Major League Soccer, LLC)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 20, 2019
- Two Houston Dynamo Players Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 20, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 20, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- FC Cincinnati Recall Rashawn Dally from Memphis 901 FC - FC Cincinnati
- LA Galaxy to face Orlando City SC this weekend on UniMas - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named MLS Player of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- The Ligue de Football Professionnel Announce That the EA Ligue 1 Games Will be Played at Audi Field - D.C. United
- 40-Man Preliminary Rosters Released for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 20, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati to Plant 20,000 Flower Blooms Around Queen City - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Draws with Los Angeles FC - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.