Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 20, 2019
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. -The Chicago Fire Soccer Club will return to SeatGeek Stadium this weekend when the team hosts New York City FC on Saturday, May 25. Scheduled to begin at 2:30 p.m. CT, the match will be nationally televised on Univision (Spanish) and Twitter (English) and transmitted locally on Univision Radio WRTO AM 1200 (Spanish).
Entering Saturday's match, the Fire (4-5-4, 16 points) are unbeaten in its last five home matches, tallying four wins and one draw at SeatGeek Stadium since March 30. During that stretch, the Fire's four home wins is tied for the most in the league, while the Men in Red's 16 goals scored at home this season is tied for second-most in MLS.
Saturday's game marks the fifth all-time meeting between the Fire and NYCFC at SeatGeek Stadium. The Men in Red currently hold a 2-1-1 home record against the Eastern Conference side. In the most recent matchup between the two sides at SeatGeek Stadium, the Fire posted a 3-2 win on June 30, 2018, receiving a goal from forward Nemanja Nikolic and a brace from midfielder Aleksandar Katai.
NYCFC (4-1-6, 18 points) enter Saturday's contest unbeaten in its last seven matches (4-0-3) since April 6. Most recently, the team recorded a 2-0 win over the LA Galaxy at Dignity Health Sports Park on May 11. Forwards HÃ©ber and Ismael Tajouri-Shradi lead the team in goals scored (three), while midfielder Maximiliano Moralez has recorded the most assists (four) on the team.
Three Fire players named to Preliminary Gold Cup Rosters
With the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup set to kick off on June 15, three Chicago Fire players have been included in the preliminary 40-man rosters submitted by the 16 nations participating in this summer's tournament.
Defender Francisco Calvo (Costa Rica), midfielder Djordje Mihailovic (United States of America) and midfielder/defender Raheem Edwards (Canada) have been tapped by their respective countries for the initial rosters that will serve as the basis for the final 23-player lists to be announced in early June.
The 2019 Gold Cup -- the 15th iteration of the tournament -- will be the biggest-ever edition of the event, with the most participating nations (16), most host countries (three) and most stadiums (17), including Chicago's Soldier Field, which will host the tournament final on July 7.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 20, 2019
- Two Houston Dynamo Players Named to MLS Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: May 20, 2019 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Weekly Update - May 20, 2019 - Chicago Fire
- FC Cincinnati Recall Rashawn Dally from Memphis 901 FC - FC Cincinnati
- LA Galaxy to face Orlando City SC this weekend on UniMas - LA Galaxy
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Named MLS Player of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- San Jose Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- The Ligue de Football Professionnel Announce That the EA Ligue 1 Games Will be Played at Audi Field - D.C. United
- 40-Man Preliminary Rosters Released for 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: May 20, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati to Plant 20,000 Flower Blooms Around Queen City - FC Cincinnati
- FC Dallas Draws with Los Angeles FC - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Re-Signs Enrique Espinoza as eSports Player for 2020 eMLS Season
- Chicago Fire FC to Kick off 2020 MLS Season on March 1 against Reigning MLS Cup Champions Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires First Round Draft Pick from Seattle Sounders FC
- Chicago Fire FC Exercises Contract Option on CJ Sapong and Raheem Edwards
- Chicago Fire Reveals New Primary Badge and Brand Identity Ahead of Move to Soldier Field in 2020