Dynamo Rally for 2-1 Win over D.C. United Behind Goals from Rodriguez & McNamara
HOUSTON - The Houston Dynamo scored twice in the span of 99 seconds to rally from a goal deficit to defeat D.C. United 2-1 tonight at BBVA Compass Stadium. Goals from forward Memo Rodriguez and midfielder Tommy McNamara in the 67th and 68th minutes, respectively, gave the Dynamo their first come-from-behind victory of the year and seventh win overall.
An aerial duel between Dynamo forward Alberth Elis and D.C. United defender Steven Birnbaum in the opening minute of the game resulted in both players knocking heads. The collision forced the Honduran international to leave the game early on, with Rodriguez replacing Elis in the 10th minute.
After a scoreless first half, D.C. United broke the deadlock just seconds into the second half. After intercepting a pass inside their own half, the Black-and-Red counterattacked quickly and midfielder Ulises Segura whipped a low centering pass across the face of goal to an oncoming Wayne Rooney, who tapped in the ball for his seventh goal of the season.
Rodriguez, the Dynamo Academy product, equalized for Houston in the 67th minute after he received a pass from captain Boniek García along the left flank and cut inside on his right foot at the top of the penalty area. Rodriguez evaded two defenders at the top of the box and beat D.C. United goalkeeper Bill Hamid with a hard right-footed shot to the bottom corner of the far post.
Dynamo midfielder Tommy McNamara entered the game prior to the first goal and two minutes later he gave Houston the lead with a run to the far post. Defender Adam Lundkvist's cross missed forward Mauro Manotas near the six-yard box but McNamara, hustling at the back post, leapt to get his body on the cross and redirect it into the net. The goal was McNamara's first for his new club and the 15th of his MLS career.
Facing a team that boasted the best record in the Eastern Conference, the Dynamo controlled the majority of the match. They outshot United 20-11, limited Rooney and the potent Black-and-Red attack to just two shots on goal, won 12 corner kicks to D.C.'s two, and had 54.8 percent of possession on the night. The win improved Houston to 7-2-2 on the year as the team continues to surge out to the best start to a season in club history.
The Dynamo will make their maiden visit to Allianz Field in Minneapolis next weekend as they play at Minnesota United FC on Saturday night (7 p.m. CDT | KUBE 57 | TeleXitos 47.2). Following that match, they return to BBVA Compass Stadium on Saturday, June 1 to host Sporting Kansas City on Soccer For All Night, presented by Heriberto Ramos. Tickers for that match are available online at HoustonDynamo.com or by phone at 713-276-4625 (GOAL).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 18, 2019
- Sounders FC Earns Road Point in Scoreless Draw with Philadelphia - Seattle Sounders FC
- MNUFC Stay Unbeaten at Home with 1-0 Win over Columbus - Minnesota United FC
- Derek Cornelius stuns Sporting KC with late-game equalizer - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting Settles for 1-1 Draw with Vancouver - Sporting Kansas City
- Dynamo Rally for 2-1 Win over D.C. United Behind Goals from Rodriguez & McNamara - Houston Dynamo
- D.C. United Downed In Houston, 2-1 - D.C. United
- First-place Union remain unbeaten in their last six games after draw in front of sellout Talen Energy Stadium crowd - Philadelphia Union
- Chris Wondolowski scores four goals to break all-time MLS record - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Forward Chris Wondolowski Breaks All-Time MLS Goals Record - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 4-1 to San Jose Earthquakes at Avaya Stadium - Chicago Fire
- Toronto FC (0) - Real Salt Lake (3) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Real Salt Lake Runs Rampant over Toronto FC in Sandy - Real Salt Lake
- Impact Draws 0-0 against New England Revolution - Montreal Impact
- Revolution Draw Montreal Impact in Saturday Matinee, 0-0 - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Hosts LAFC Tomorrow: 3 Things You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Houston Dynamo Loan Three Defenders to RGV FC for Tonight's Match at H-E-B Park - Houston Dynamo
- LAFC Travels to Frisco for Sunday Meeting with FC Dallas - Los Angeles FC
- FC Cincinnati Recall Logan Gdula from Phoenix Rising FC; Loan Gdula to Hartford Athletic - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo Announce 23-Player Roster for Leagues Cup Quarterfinal Match
- Dynamo & Dash Name Veteran Sports Marketing Leader Katie Scallan as Chief Marketing Officer
- Postgame Notes: Houston Dynamo 3-1 Toronto FC
- Dynamo Capture Crucial Road Win with 3-1 Victory over Toronto FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Head North for Clash with Toronto FC