Duran Homers, Muzziotti Has Four Hits in Win
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Rodolfo Duran homered and Simon Muzziotti had four hits in his first game since April 17th as the BlueClaws topped Hagerstown 7-4 at FirstEnergy Park on Thursday night.
The BlueClaws (5-2/46-30) have now won three straight games while Hagerstown (1-6/28-47) has now dropped 12 of 17 against Lakewood so far this year.
Lakewood starter Kyle Young (3-3) gave up two unearned runs over seven innings to earn his third win in his third time finishing seven innings in a game this year. Zach Warren got the last four outs, all on strikeouts, for his fourth save.
The BlueClaws got two runs in the first inning off Seth Romero, taking the lead on an RBI double by Nick Maton. Rodolfo Duran's infield pop-up was misplayed into an RBI single that gave the BlueClaws a 2-0 lead.
After the Suns tied the game with two unearned runs, with the help of three Lakewood errors, in the third inning, Rodolfo Duran's home run into the outfield picnic area in the sixth gave the BlueClaws the lead. Duran, who homered last night, now has 10 on the season to lead the team, eight of which have come since May 27th.
His home run came off reliever Carlos Acevedo (0-4), who took the loss.
The BlueClaws added two more runs in the seventh inning to open a 5-2 lead. Simon Muzziotti's RBI single brought home Colby Fitch and Jhailyn Ortiz's SAC fly brought home Muzziotti.
Luis Cedeno came on for the eighth and was one out away from getting out of the inning when catcher Rodolfo Duran dropped a pop-up right in front of the plate, allowing two runs to score, cutting Lakewood's lead to 5-4.
The BlueClaws, however, responded with two runs in the bottom of the eighth. Jake Scheiner and Josh Stephen had RBI singles as part of the four-hit inning.
Muzziotti's four-hit game was the third by a BlueClaw this year (Jhailyn Ortiz and Kevin Markham). Duran, Daniel Brito, and Jose Antequera had two hits apiece for the BlueClaws.
The teams finish their three-game series on Friday night at 7:05 pm. RHP Spencer Howard (3-7) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Brigham Hill (0-1).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 28, 2018
- Drive and GreenJackets Split Thursday's Games - Greenville Drive
- You Win Some, You Lose Some - Augusta GreenJackets
- T's Win Fourth Straight; Then Drop Back End of DH - Asheville Tourists
- Kay Shines, Leads Columbia to Doubleheader Split - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs Blow out Rome to Set up Sweep Chance Friday - Charleston RiverDogs
- Power Drops Middle Match, 4-3, to Hickory - West Virginia Power
- Suns Lose Third Straight on Thursday - Hagerstown Suns
- Duran Homers, Muzziotti Has Four Hits in Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Wheel Rolls on as 'Birds Take Series - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Lexington Snaps Streak Led by Melendez 3-Run Homer - Lexington Legends
- Lara Collects 3 Hits in Loss to 'Birds - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 28 vs. Asheville (Games 73 & 74) - Columbia Fireflies
- Preview: Hoppers Look to Bounce Back - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (June 28) - West Virginia Power
- BlueClaws Unveil New "Boardwalk Group Bundle" - Lakewood BlueClaws
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- BlueClaws Charities Announces 2018 Grant Recipients
- Claws Fall 2-1 as Legends Take SAL Title
- Claws Fall 6-3 on Thursday as Legends Take 2-1 Series Lead
- Claws Fall 5-2; Legends Level Series at 1-1
- Comeback Claws Come from Five Down in Ninth, Win Game One 6-5 at Lexington