Ducks Offense Quieted by Patriots
(Bridgewater, N.J.) - The Long Island Ducks were defeated by the Somerset Patriots 4-1 on Wednesday night in the middle game of a three-game series at TD Bank Ballpark.
Neither side scored until the bottom of the third inning when RBI singles by Ramon Flores and Edwin Espinal gave the Patriots a 2-0 lead. Scott Kelly's sacrifice fly to center field in the fourth extended Somerset's lead to three.
Back-to-back two-out doubles by Steve Lombardozzi and L.J. Mazzilli in the eighth closed the gap to 3-1. However, a two-out fielding error that scored Justin Pacchioli in the bottom of the inning restored Somerset's three-run lead.
Patriots starter Thomas Dorminy (2-4) earned the win, tossing five scoreless innings, allowing three hits and three walks while striking out three. Ducks starter Darin Downs (0-2) took the loss, yielding two runs on six hits and a walk over three innings with four strikeouts. Mike Antonini pitched up his 21st save of the season with a 1-2-3 ninth inning.
Lombardozzi led the Flock offensively with two hits and a run.
The Ducks and Patriots wrap up their three-game set on Thursday night. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. from TD Bank Ballpark. Fans can follow all the action on the Long Island Ducks Broadcast Network. Live streaming video and audio will be available via BoxCast on LIDucks.com, Facebook Live and the Ducks official YouTube channel. Right-hander Travis Banwart (1-0, 0.64) toes the rubber for the Ducks against Patriots southpaw David Holmberg (0-1, 3.33).
Long Island returns home on Friday, June 21, to play a single admission doubleheader against the Lancaster Barnstormers. First pitch for game one is scheduled for 6:00 p.m., with the Bethpage Ballpark gates opening at 5:35 for all fans. The first 1,500 fans in attendance will receive 20th Anniversary Season T-Shirts, courtesy of Petro Home Services. Game two will begin approximately 20-25 minutes after the completion of game one, and both games are slated for seven innings. Tickets to the doubleheader, and all Ducks home games, can be purchased by visiting the box office, calling (631) 940-TIXX.
The Long Island Ducks are members of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball and play their home games at Bethpage Ballpark. For further information, call (631) 940-DUCK or visit www.liducks.com.
Images from this story
Steve Lombardozzi of the Somerset Patriots at first
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from June 19, 2019
- Blue Crabs And Bees Split Twin-Bill In The Nutmeg State - New Britain Bees
- Hometown Hero Daryl Thompson Continues to Etch Name in Record Books - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Ducks Offense Quieted by Patriots - Long Island Ducks
- Patriots Take Control of First Place with 4-1 Win over Ducks - Somerset Patriots
- Rookie Belts Tying Homer, Barnstormers Lose Sixth Straight - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Skeeters Sign Veteran Major League LHP Robbie Ross - Sugar Land Skeeters
- Kate Flannery Appearance Postponed, 'Office Night' Still On - York Revolution
- All-Star Game Event Celebrates 'Made in York' - York Revolution
- Somerset Patriots Add OF/INF Dario Pizzano - Somerset Patriots
- Another Big League Arm Joins the Bees - New Britain Bees
- Tejeda's Walk-Off Knock Extends Winning Streak to Seven - York Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.