Double-A Arm Delgado Joins Birds
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. - The Sioux Falls Canaries have signed former Double-A starting pitcher Casey Delgado, the club announced Saturday.
Casey Delgado is welcomed to Sioux Falls with six years of experience across the NCAA, Independent, and affiliated minor league ranks. He will be the starting pitcher for the Birds' game with the Chicago Dogs on Saturday night.
In a corresponding move, the Canaries released pitcher Grady Wood, who suffered a season-ending injury this week. Wood will remain with the team as pitching coach.
Delgado was undrafted out of Austin Peay but quickly found a home with the Frontier Greys of the Independent Frontier League in 2013.
He continued his stint in the Frontier league with the Traverse City Beach Bums in 2014 and very briefly in 2015 where he posted a 1.59 ERA over those two games and earned him a call from the New York Mets.
Delgado was assigned to Class-A Savannah where he an 8-4 record with a 3.17 ERA over 16 starts and one relief appearance. He threw 105 innings that season with Savannah and earned a call up to High-A St. Lucie to start the 2016 season. After posting an 8-3 record and a 3.39 ERA with St. Lucie through 13 starts, Delgado earned a called up to Double-A Binghamton.
He started 29 games (33 total games) with Binghamton between 2016 and 2017 and earned a 4.68 ERA, a 15-11 record over 171.1 innings. He struck out 126 to just 75 walks in his Double-A career.
Delgado last pitched with the Southern Maryland Blue Crabs of the Independent Atlantic League in 2018. With the Blue Crabs he posted a 4.90 ERA over 22 starts and 123 innings pitched.
He has pitched in over 680 innings in his professional career with a 3.91 ERA and a 1.35 WHIP.
The Birds play the final three games of the 12-game homestand with a weekend series against the Chicago Dogs. Upcoming promotions include a Trevor Lawhorn bobblehead giveaway on Friday, July 31, Princess and Pirates Night on Saturday, August 1, and First Responders Day on Sunday, August 2.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 1, 2020
- Chicago Home Runs Down Birds - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Goldeyes Win Double Header from Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Offense Stymied Once Again, Swept in Doubleheader by Goldeyes, Lose Game 2, 5-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Double-A Arm Delgado Joins Birds - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Bested by Goldeyes in Game 1 of Doubleheader 7-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Saints Add Depth in Infield with Former Phillies Prospect Drew Stankiewicz - St. Paul Saints
- Sweeney, Holmberg Earn American Association Honors for July - AA
- Sweeney Named Batter of the Month - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Single-Game Tickets on Sale Today at 10 AM - St. Paul Saints
- Landon Delivers Twice, Birds Walk off Dogs in Extras - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux Falls Canaries Stories
- Birds Offense Goes Quiet in Loss at Milwaukee
- The Diamond Dig Is Back $2200 Faini Diamond Buried in the Infield Saturday August 15
- Big Fifth Inning the Difference, Birds Fall to Milkmen
- Former MLB Pitcher Tyler Danish Signs with Birds
- Kay Stays Hot, Birds Edge Milkmen in 10