Saints Bested by Goldeyes in Game 1 of Doubleheader 7-2
FARGO, ND - If the St. Paul Saints hope to make any noise in the American Association this season, they know their series against the top team in the league, the Winnipeg Goldeyes, is a big one. The Saints found out why the Goldeyes have the best record losing 7-2 on Saturday afternoon in Game 1 of a doubleheader.
The Goldeyes jumped on Saints starter Eddie Medina with two outs in the second inning when Roy Morales singled to right. Wed Darvill drilled an RBI triple to the gap in right-center making it 1-0. Kevin LaChance, who had been 0-12 this season against the Saints, reached on an infield single to short that drove home Darvill making it 2-0.
The Saints got one back in the third when Max Murphy led off with a single and scored on a one out double by Justin Byrd making it 2-1.
The Goldeyes put the game away in the fifth when they put up five runs. The inning started when LaChance walked. Darnell Sweeney singled him to second. With one out, Kyle Martin ripped an RBI double down the first base line making it 3-1. After an intentional walk to Logan Hill loaded the bases, John Nester made it 4-1 with a sacrifice fly to center. Jordan George then deposited one over the right field wall, his third of the season, making it 7-1.
The Saints added a run in the ninth when Chris Chinea doubled, moved to third on a wild pitch and scored on a groundout from Alonzo Harris.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 1, 2020
- Chicago Home Runs Down Birds - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Goldeyes Win Double Header from Saints - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Offense Stymied Once Again, Swept in Doubleheader by Goldeyes, Lose Game 2, 5-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Double-A Arm Delgado Joins Birds - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Saints Bested by Goldeyes in Game 1 of Doubleheader 7-2 - St. Paul Saints
- Saints Add Depth in Infield with Former Phillies Prospect Drew Stankiewicz - St. Paul Saints
- Sweeney, Holmberg Earn American Association Honors for July - AA
- Sweeney Named Batter of the Month - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Single-Game Tickets on Sale Today at 10 AM - St. Paul Saints
- Landon Delivers Twice, Birds Walk off Dogs in Extras - Sioux Falls Canaries
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Saints Dropped by RedHawks 10-2
- Sense of Relief as Saints Come from Behind for Second Straight Night in 6-4 Win
- Saints Add Their Fifth-Round Player Dispersal Draft Pick, Explorers All-Star Closer Matt Pobereyko
- The Perfect Homecoming, Saints Come from Behind for 3-2 Victory over RedHawks
- Join the Saints for Opening Night