Dohy Slams Door; Claws Top Hoppers 6-5
GREENSBORO, NC - Kyle Dohy got the last seven outs for his seventh save as the BlueClaws held off Greensboro for a 6-5 Saturday night win at First National Bank Field.
The win snaps Lakewood's (35-26) three-game losing streak and the BlueClaws gained a game on Kannapolis, pulling to within two of first place with eight games left. Greensboro (29-30), who won Friday's series opener, fell back under .500 with the loss.
Dohy, a South Atlantic League All-Star, picked off a runner at first to end the seventh and then struck out four batters over the last two innings to earn his seventh save. Dohy has now struck out 56 of 119 hitters he's faced this year.
Lakewood jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning on an RBI double by Jake Scheiner and RBI groundout from Quincy Nieporte.
Then in the second, Lakewood got back to back home runs from Daniel Brito and Rodolfo Duran. It marked the first time since 2015 (Jiandido Tromp and Deivi Grullon) that the BlueClaws hit back to back home runs in a game. Lakewood pushed their lead to 6-2 in the third on an RBI double from Jhailyn Ortiz and an errant pick-off throw from Hoppers starter Brandon Miller, which allowed Ortiz to score.
After Lakewood starter Damon Jones gave up two runs in three innings, Connor Brogdon (2-2) came on and gave up three runs in the fourth including a two-run double by Devers. Brogdon, however, settled in and threw a scoreless fifth and then struck out the side in the sixth. He got the first two outs of the seventh before giving way to Dohy.
Greensboro starter Brandon Miller (2-5) took the loss, allowing six runs over seven innings of work. Rodolfo Duran had three hits for Lakewood while Kevin Markham, Jake Scheiner, and Jhailyn Ortiz had two hits apiece.
The teams finish their series on Sunday at 2:00 pm in Greensboro. LHP David Parkinson (4-1, 1.34) starts for Lakewood opposite RHP Edward Cabrera (2-5, 3.73).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 9, 2018
- Legends Swept by Tourists in Doubleheader - Lexington Legends
- Drive Coast Past RiverDogs, 5-1 - Greenville Drive
- Mateo Homers in Dogs Debut, but Charleston Drops Second Straight in Greenville - Charleston RiverDogs
- Peterson Tosses Gem, Fireflies Walk off on Saturday - Columbia Fireflies
- Dohy Slams Door; Claws Top Hoppers 6-5 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Play Two, Take Two; Tourists Sweep Twin Bill - Asheville Tourists
- Ninth-Inning Comeback Falls Short in 5-4 Loss - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets Lose in Extras - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crawdads Surge Past Power for 5-4 Victory - Hickory Crawdads
- Walk Off Saturday, Rome Wins 5-4 - Rome Braves
- 'Birds Game against Suns Cancelled - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Yankees Promote Welfrin Mateo to Charleston - Charleston RiverDogs
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 9 vs. Augusta (Game 59) - Columbia Fireflies
- WEST VIRGINIA POWER: Game Notes (June 9) - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- BlueClaws Charities Announces 2018 Grant Recipients
- Claws Fall 2-1 as Legends Take SAL Title
- Claws Fall 6-3 on Thursday as Legends Take 2-1 Series Lead
- Claws Fall 5-2; Legends Level Series at 1-1
- Comeback Claws Come from Five Down in Ninth, Win Game One 6-5 at Lexington