'Dogs Set Franchise Strikeout Record in Extras Loss to X's
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - Kyle Kinman gave up just one run over 7.1 innings, but the 'Dogs struck out a franchise-record 20 times in a 2-1, 12-inning loss to the Sioux City Explorers in the series opener at MercyOne Field on Monday night.
Drew Stankiewicz won the game with an RBI single to left that scored Nate Samson from second - the 'Dogs second extra-innings loss this year.
Kinman gave up only one run in his fifth start of the year - a sacrifice fly from Samson that tied the game in the 3rd. The 'Dogs had taken the game's first lead on Cody Regis's run-scoring groundout in the 1st.
Kinman has now allowed just two runs - one earned - over his last three starts, stretching 20 innings.
Randolph Oduber went 2-for-5 with a double and a run scored, while Curt Smith also went 2-for-5 with a double. Cody Regis had a pair of his to extend his league-best 24-game on-base streak.
Christian Ibarra, John Sansone and Daniel Herrera all had three strikeouts, while Colton Burns struck out a season-high four times.
Austin Pettibone surrendered the game-winning run in the 12th inning, but the right-hander also worked around a bases-loaded, nobody-out jam in the 11th. The 'Dogs played with five infielders to help record the first two outs before Michael Lang bounced back to Pettibone to end the inning.
Game 2 of the four-game series is scheduled for 7:12 p.m. on Tuesday night, and pregame coverage will begin at 6:40 p.m. on ESPN Lincoln 101.5 FM/1480 AM.
The Saltdogs are playing their 19th season in Lincoln. All ticket and promo information can be found at saltdogs.com, and follow the 'Dogs on Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 11, 2019
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Cleburne Shuffles Roster Ahead of Homestand - Cleburne Railroaders
- Reynolds Returns to Former Team - Kansas City T-Bones
- T-Bones bullpen gains another fresh arm - Kansas City T-Bones
- Five-Run Seventh Powers Birds to Road Win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- 'Cats Sign Chesterton Native Dawson to First Pro Contract - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Cats Return Home to Princess, Pirates, Rugrats and More - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- X's Walk It off in Extra Inning Thriller - Sioux City Explorers
- 'Dogs Set Franchise Strikeout Record in Extras Loss to X's - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.