Deuce in the Third Lifts Jacks over Kings 2-1
Odessa, TX - The Odessa Jackalopes combined for a pair of third period goals 5:31 apart to steal a 2-1 win over the Lubbock Cotton Kings Wednesday night at the Ector County Coliseum.
Nathan Ward started the Jackalopes rally 9:02 into the third period, tying the game at 1-1 with a power play goal. Lubbock goaltender JF Perras was trying to cover up a shot in front of the crease and the Jackalopes continued to hack away at the pads of Perras and Ward was able to force the puck through Perras for his first professional goal. Steve Shrum earned the game winning goal with 5:28 remaining as he took advantage of an odd man breakout from the blueline as the Kings had trouble clearing the puck from their zone.
After a scoreless first period, Simon Watson grabbed his CHL rookie leading seventh power play goal to give the Cotton Kings a 1-0 lead. Philippe Lacasse and Trevor Weisgerber contributed with assists, setting up Watson's blast from the low point that beat Odessa netminder Mike Gorman 2:18 into the second period. Lubbock unfortunately couldn't hold the 1-0 lead through two periods of play and their record when leading after 40-minutes falls to 8-2-1.
Lubbock out-shot the Jackalopes 39-35, but Gorman was their to improve his record to 6-4-2 by making 38 saves. Perras' record drops to 4-4-0 after the hard-luck loss stopping 33 shots on goal. Both teams went 1 for 4 on the man advantage.
The Cotton Kings return home to host the Youngstown Steelhounds Friday before returning to Odessa to face the Jackalopes on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 6, 2006
- Sundogs Lose in OT, Drop Fourth Straight at Home - Arizona Sundogs
- Eagles End Home Winning Streak for Rage - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Eagles Outlast Rage 3-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Deuce in the Third Lifts Jacks over Kings 2-1 - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- RiverKings Weekly News and Notes - Mississippi RiverKings
- Wal-Mart Teams With Oilers For Turkey Shoot - Tulsa Oilers
- Rayz fall to Bucks 2-1 in overtime - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bees move up in CHL Coach's Poll - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- RiverKings reclaim top spot in weekly poll - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks Rally To Beat Rayz Again, 2-1 In OT - Laredo Bucks
- RiverKings Back on Top of CHL Coach's Poll - CHL
- Road trip proves successful for Scorpions - New Mexico Scorpions
- Happy Hour at the Jack Shack - Odessa Jackalopes
- Lubbock Cotton Kings Road Game Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.