Denver Cutthroats Fall in Shootout
Allen - The Denver Cutthroats faced the Allen Americans on Friday, November 1 at Allen Event Center. The Americans overtook the Cutthroats in a five-round shootout to close the night 3-2.
This was the first time the two teams have faced each other since the 2012-13 season playoffs. During the best-of-seven series, the Cutthroats fell to the Americans in game five to end the team's inaugural season.
On Friday, Allen's Mike Berube (Tyler Ludwig) put the first goal of the night on the board to lead 1-0. Denver was quick to tie the score as Michael Schumacher (Troy Schwab, Steve Kaunisto) made a goal on the Cutthroats power play. The Americans responded with their own power play goal of the night as Jonathan Lessard (Alex Lavoie, Darryl Bootland) gave Allen the lead 2-1 over Denver to end the first period.
During the Cutthroats power play, Robin Soudek (J.P. Chabot, Cam Reid) matched the Americans to tie the score at 2-2. This was Soudek's third goal of the season with the Cutthroats, having joined the team in October 2013. The score remained Denver 2, Allen 2 at the end of the second period.
Denver and Allen fought tirelessly through the third period to keep the score at 2-2. The Central Hockey League's leading teams headed into a scoreless overtime and sent the game into a shootout. This was the Cutthroats second shootout of the season, having won in the 18th round against the Tulsa Oilers on opening weekend. Garett Bembridge was the first to net the puck in the shootout to give Denver the lead. Tyler Ludwig responded instantly with the next shot, finding the back of the Cutthroats net to tie the score once again. Darryl Bootland closed the night with the final goal to give the Allen Americans a 3-2 victory over the Denver Cutthroats. Denver's goaltender Kent Patterson was awarded the second of the three stars of the night for his valiant efforts, having stopped 44 of the 46 shots.
Denver will face the Missouri Mavericks on Saturday, November 2 for the team's second night in the five-game road series. The Cutthroats will return to the Denver Coliseum on Tuesday, November 12 to face the Arizona Sundogs.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 1, 2013
- Americans Remain Atop the CHL with Shootout Win - Allen Americans
- Mavericks Come out on Top in Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Oilers' Comeback Bid Falls Short in 4-3 Loss to Mavericks - Tulsa Oilers
- Denver Cutthroats Fall in Shootout - Denver Cutthroats
- Mallards Power Past St. Charles - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder Bring Back Beaureguard; Waive Gallimore - Wichita Thunder
- CHL Sher-Wood Coaches Poll Results Announced - CHL
- Denver's Garett Bembridge Named Easton/CHL Player of the Month - CHL
- Rookie Forward Signs with Oilers, Beauregard and Klempa Waived - Tulsa Oilers
- Mavericks Odegaard Signed to Standard Contract, Hayes to IR - Kansas City Mavericks
- Rapid City's Tim Boron Named Warrior/CHL Goaltender of the Month - CHL
- Shots from the Point for November 1, 2013 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster