Deadline Deals on Defence
NORTH BAY, Ont. - The North Bay Battalion has dealt import Martin Has to the Guelph Storm and acquired Avery Winslow from the London Knights in a pair of trades featuring defencemen, the Ontario Hockey League club announced Friday before the noon trade deadline.
The Battalion sent London two OHL Priority Selection picks, a third-round choice in 2023 and a fifth-rounder in 2024, for rookie Winslow, 17. A left shot who stands five-foot-11 and weighs 179 pounds, he has one goal and three assists for four points with six penalty minutes in 28 games.
Has, North Bay's first-round pick in the Canadian Hockey League Import Draft last June, went to Guelph for three conditional OHL Priority Selection picks, a third-rounder in each of 2022 and 2023 and a 15th-rounder in 2022.
Has, a right shot who played for his native Czech Republic in the World Junior Championship that ended last Sunday, skated with the Battalion for the first time in a 6-0 home-ice loss Thursday night to the Mississauga Steelheads.
The 18-year-old, who stands six-foot-four and weighs 187 pounds, started the season with Tappara Tampere of the Finnish Elite League after being a fifth-round choice of the Washington Capitals in the 2019 National Hockey League Draft.
London tabbed Winslow, a resident of St. Pete Beach, Fla., in the fifth round of the 2018 OHL Priority Selection from the Notre Dame Hounds midgets of Athol Murray College of Notre Dame, a private school in Wilcox, Sask. He played last season for the Wenatchee Wild of the junior A British Columbia Hockey League.
"Avery is a young defenceman who's extremely mobile and will do a lot of things for our team moving forward," said Battalion general manager Adam Dennis. "He uses his speed to get up the ice and takes pride in his defending.
"We look forward to having him join our talented group of young players."
It wasn't known whether Winslow would be in the lineup when the Battalion visited the Sudbury Wolves at 7:05 p.m. Friday.
North Bay also completed a trade Thursday, sending left winger and captain Brad Chenier to Sudbury for fellow overager Shane Bulitka, a centre who was Sudbury's captain, and two OHL Priority Selection picks, a third-rounder in 2023 and a conditional eighth-rounder in 2022.
The overage trade deadline passed at noon Thursday.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2020
- Wolves Overrun Battalion - North Bay Battalion
- Fronts Take Shootout Victory over the Attack - Kingston Frontenacs
- Oksentyuk Sets Franchise-Record in Firebirds Defeat Friday - Flint Firebirds
- Owen Sound Earn Point, Fall 3-2 in Shootout to Kingston - Owen Sound Attack
- 15 Total Goals Scored in Crazy 67's Win over Guelph - Ottawa 67's
- Spirit Remain Dominant in Flint After 7-4 Victory - Saginaw Spirit
- Rangers Keep Rolling with 5-2 Win over the IceDogs - Kitchener Rangers
- Colts Fall Short on the Road against Knights - Barrie Colts
- IceDogs Put up Strong Effort Despite Loss to Rangers - Niagara IceDogs
- Steelheads Fall in Soo - Mississauga Steelheads
- Minnesota Wild Propsect Lodnia Named 13th Captain in Niagara IceDogs History - Niagara IceDogs
- Game Preview: Guelph Storm vs. Ottawa 67's - Guelph Storm
- Game Day Preview: Spirit Take on Firebirds in Flint Friday - Saginaw Spirit
- Wolves Acquire Rights to Jacklin - Sudbury Wolves
- Greyhounds Receive Commitment from Malik - Soo Greyhounds
- Troops Busy at Deadline - North Bay Battalion
- Rangers and Greyhounds Complete Trade - Kitchener Rangers
- Petes Acquire Defenceman Jack York from the Barrie Colts - Peterborough Petes
- Hounds Send Rights to Jacklin to Sudbury - Soo Greyhounds
- Hounds, Rangers Complete Deal Involving Wale - Soo Greyhounds
- IceDogs Acquire Former 2nd Round Pick Cameron Peters from Battalion - Niagara IceDogs
- Spirit Acquire Carolina First Round Pick Suzuki in Trade with Barrie - Saginaw Spirit
- Preview: Firebirds Host Saginaw in Flint Friday - Flint Firebirds
- Deadline Deals on Defence - North Bay Battalion
- Storm Acquire Defenceman Martin Has from North Bay for Picks - Guelph Storm
- Knights Trade Avery Winslow to North Bay Battalion - London Knights
- Owen Sound Attacks as Petes Fall 5-2 - Peterborough Petes
- Spitfires Fall to Generals 6-3 - Windsor Spitfires
- Steelheads Blank Troops - North Bay Battalion
- Wolves Shut out the Colts at Home - Barrie Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.