Davis Stars at the Plate and in the Field in 6-5 Win over Bulls
The Herd claimed a 6-5 victory in dramatic walk-off fashion against Durham Friday night while Jonathan Davis shined both at the plate and in the field.
The Bisons were originally ahead by four runs in the game before it yielded five unanswered runs to the Bulls. Then, the Bisons rallied from behind in the ninth to tie the game and seal the win.
A big five-run frame by Durham dashed the early Buffalo advantage. The scoring was capped off by a three-run home run from Brandon Lowe--his second longball in two games.
In the ninth, a pair of one-out singles put the winning run on second base and an infield single by Davis evened the score at five runs apiece.
"That was my goal," Davis said about the at-bat. "To go up there and try to walk it off. It was awesome going out there in the ninth inning and competing and getting a victory."
For Davis, the late-inning at-bat is the kind of spot he hopes to be in.
"As a hitter, you want to be in those positions anytime you can," he said. "I think that's when the competitor comes out... You can't shy away from those moments."
The bases were juiced after Danny Jansen was pegged by a pitch and Rowdy Tellez drove a fly ball deep enough to centerfield, allowing Dalton Pompey to tag up from third and cross home as the winning run.
Davis had a great all-around performance in the game. He collected three hits and two RBI. Even when he got out, Davis put together quality at-bats and made solid contact.
He not only produced at the plate but showcased his prowess patrolling the outfield. Davis made an unbelievable catch in the fifth, going full tilt to track a deep fly ball and snagging it while crashing into the left-field wall.
Earlier in the game, Davis was robbed of an extra-base hit by Andrew Velazquez, who just so happened to hit the ball when he made the spectacular grab.
"When he hit it, the first thing that came to my mind was he got me, I'm getting him," Davis laughed about after the game. "I wasn't even worried about the wall. I was just trying to get the ball."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 20, 2018
- Hens Lose in Extras in Front of Sellout Crowd - Toledo Mud Hens
- Knights Hand Indians 6-5 Defeat in 10 Innings - Indianapolis Indians
- Pigs Even Series with 10-Inning Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Stymies Clippers in Game Two - Columbus Clippers
- Davis Stars at the Plate and in the Field in 6-5 Win over Bulls - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats Dominate Chiefs in 5-0 Shutout Win - Louisville Bats
- Stripers Complete Comeback for 7-4 Victory Friday - Gwinnett Stripers
- Cessa, Big Bats Lead RailRiders to 5-1 Victory - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gwinnett Scores Six Runs in Eighth Inning, Defeats PawSox - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Chiefs Blanked by Bats Friday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Tides Defeat Wings 7-2 Friday - Rochester Red Wings
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Friday, July 20, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (51-44) at Charlotte Knights (45-52) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats Notes: July 20 - Louisville Bats
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Durham (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- The Setup: Pigs Look to Get Back on Track in Toledo - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Bisons 2019 Promotional Schedule to Include Guerrero Jr. Bobblehead Giveaway, Game of Thrones Night and More
- Bobby Meacham to Return as Bisons Manager in 2019
- Vlad Guerrero Jr. Among Blue Jays Prospects Scheduled for Bisons 3rd Annual 'Hot Stove Prospect Showcase' January 17
- Bisons' Announce 'Season of Giving'; Team to Make Ticket Donation with Every Ticket Pack Purchased in December
- Minor League Baseball Named "Most Family Friendly" Per Sports Business Journal Survey