Cutthroats Fall to Mallards in Marathon Shootout, 4-3
DENVER - The Quad City Mallards scored two shorthanded goals in the third period to force extra time and then Anthony Pedicaro was credited with the game-winner after an 11-round shootout in a 4-3 final over the Denver Cutthroats on Friday night at the Denver Coliseum.
The Mallards (22-22-6) won the shootout 2-1, and with the loss the Cutthroats (25-21-7) fall back to sixth in the Central Hockey League standings - one point back of fifth-place Missouri.
Mickey Lang at 5:21 and Pedicaro at 12:44 each scored the shorthanded goals for the Mallards in the third. Troy Schwab added his 19th of the season for Denver in between to make it a 3-2 score before the Mallards tied it.
After a scoreless first period, Jeff Neitenbach opened up the scoring from the left circle at 1:43 of the second and Gabe Gauthier made it a 2-0 score midway through for his eighth of the year. Mikael Bedard added an assist on the goal for his eighth point in just four games for the Cutthroats.
Mike Stinziani put the Mallards on the board at 11:15 of the second on a rebound in front of the net.
Kieran Millan stopped 22 of 25 shots for Denver, while John Murray earned the win for Quad City with 25 saves.
Denver finished 0-for-5 on the power play and the Mallards went 0-for-4. Luke Fulghum scored Denver's lone shootout goal.
The Cutthroats and Mallards conclude their weekend set on Saturday at the Denver Coliseum. Puck drop is set for 7:05 PM MST.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2013
- Cutthroats Beat up Mallards in 5-2 Win - Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Stops Mallards 5-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Third-Period Goals Drop Blaze at Rapid City - Bloomington Blaze
- CHL Referee Steve Cruickshank Works 1,000th Pro Game - CHL
- Mavs Hand Thunder Shootout Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Thunder Sign Dunn to Five-Game Contract - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Win Showdown against Thunder - Allen Americans
- Cutthroats Fall to Mallards in Marathon Shootout, 4-3 - Denver Cutthroats
- Rush Make Three Straight & Five of Six with 4-1 Conquest of Blaze - Rapid City Rush
- Mallards Outlast Denver, Score Wild Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster