Cutthroats Beat up Mallards in 5-2 Win
DENVER - Mikael Bedard scored two goals and recorded his 200th career professional point to help lead the Denver Cutthroats to a 5-2 victory over the Quad City Mallards on Saturday night at the Denver Coliseum.
The win keeps Denver (26-21-7) in sixth-place in the CHL standings with 59 points, one-point behind Missouri in fifth.
Troy Schwab, Phil Tesoriero and Ben Wilson also had goals for Denver while Brad Smyth had a two-assist game. Goaltender Kieran Millan made 35 saves for his 13th win of the season.
The Cutthroats took a 2-1 lead going into the first intermission with goals from Tesoriero and Wilson. Tesoriero scored on a Quad City delayed penalty at 3:59 of the first while Wilson scored his tally at 12:53.
Obi Aduba cut the Denver lead in half for the Mallards (22-23-6) with a score at 18:36 of the opening frame.
The contest stayed 2-1 until Schwab punched in a rebound to the back of the net at 8:12 of the second period. After Schwab entered the Mallards zone, he dumped the puck off to Adam Smyth, who fired a shot that bounced off Mallards netminder John Murray's pads and to Schwab at the low left side.
Bedard extended Denver's lead to three goals after he scored on a one-time shot with 38 seconds left in the middle period. Bedard's tally came after Michael Trebish placed a cross-ice pass from the left side on the power play.
Bedard scored his second of the night with 2:21 left in regulation after Gabe Gauthier found him in front and he beat new Mallards goalie Neil Conway with a wrist shot. He now has 10 points (seven goals and three assists) in five games since being acquired from Arizona.
Matt Duffy scored Quad City's other goal at 2:22 of the third period.
The Cutthroats finished 1-of-4 on the power play while the Mallards went scoreless in their four man-advantage opportunities.
Denver's next game will be at the Missouri Mavericks on Tuesday at 6 p.m. MT. The Cutthroats will be back home for a weekend set against the Tulsa Oilers beginning on Friday at 7 p.m.
1. Mikael Bedard (DEN)
2. Troy Schwab (DEN)
3. Adam Smyth (DEN)
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2013
- Cutthroats Beat up Mallards in 5-2 Win - Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Stops Mallards 5-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Third-Period Goals Drop Blaze at Rapid City - Bloomington Blaze
- CHL Referee Steve Cruickshank Works 1,000th Pro Game - CHL
- Mavs Hand Thunder Shootout Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Thunder Sign Dunn to Five-Game Contract - Wichita Thunder
- Americans Win Showdown against Thunder - Allen Americans
- Cutthroats Fall to Mallards in Marathon Shootout, 4-3 - Denver Cutthroats
- Rush Make Three Straight & Five of Six with 4-1 Conquest of Blaze - Rapid City Rush
- Mallards Outlast Denver, Score Wild Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Denver Cutthroats Stories
- Veteran Defenseman Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Former Open Tryout Participant Returns to the Denver Cutthroats
- Denver Cutthroats Hold Third Annual Open Tryouts
- Denver Cutthroats Add Two More to 2014-15 Roster
- Two Veterans Add Depth to Cutthroats 2014-15 Roster