Cubs Bats Stay Hot in 8-3 Win
SOUTH BEND, IN - Despite giving up two runs to the opposing Dayton Dragons in the first inning, the South Bend Cubs stormed back to win the ballgame 8-3 with 10 hits.
Seven South Bend hitters reached base safely in the second inning before Dragons pitcher Ryan Olson recorded his first out. In that inning, Jimmy Gonzalez' offense batted around the lineup to score six runs and gain a 6-2 lead over Dayton.
The Cubs hitters also destoryed a very good ERA in that frame. Coming into the game, Olson had not allowed a run in 16.0 innings pitched. He exited with a 2.89 ERA after throwing just 2 2/3 innings as the South Bend lineup combined for seven runs on eight hits against the Dragons top pitcher.
On the night, two of the Cubs top hitters extended personal offensive streaks. Hot-hitting second baseman Yeiler Peguero extended his hitting streak to nine consecutive games while leadoff-man Zack Short extended his streak to eight games with a RBI double in the second inning.
Manuel Rondon picked up the win for the Cubs throwing 5.0 innings, allowing two runs, and striking out six Dragons hitters. Coming in for relief was former USC Trojan Marc Huberman ; he did not allow a run in two innings of work.
Dayton, who currently holds the top spot in the Eastern Division, added one more run in the eighth, but the Cubs lead proved to be too much for the Dragons to overcome. With the win, the Cubs are now one game behind the Eastern Division leader.
South Bend is set to return to action tomorrow night at Four Winds Field against the Dragons for game two of this four game series. Jose Paulino is scheduled to start on the mound for South Bend; he is 0-0 with a 2.25 ERA in one start for the Cubs season.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 21, 2017
- Bees Fend off Snappers, 8-4 - Burlington Bees
- Chiefs Lose 4-1 Friday - Peoria Chiefs
- Hot Rods Score Early, Win Second Straight Game - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- LumberKings Muster Only Two Hits in 3-1 Loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Winning Streak Snapped at Great Lakes - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Beat Peoria 4-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bandits Use Strong Pitching to Win Fifth Straight - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Cubs Top Dragons 4-2, Create Tie for First Place - Dayton Dragons
- Rincon Shines, Loons Bounce Back - Great Lakes Loons
- Learn from LumberKings Players and Coaches at Ashford University Field - Clinton LumberKings
- Lugnuts Starter Gutierrez Placed on DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- High Schools Games Postponed Saturday; Action Will Resume Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Bowling Green Hot Rods Game Notes ( at LAN) - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Operation Support Our Troops Concert Moves to Northwestern Medicine - Kane County Cougars
- Cubs Bats Stay Hot in 8-3 Win - South Bend Cubs
- TinCaps Top Great Lakes in 11 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Clinton Falls to Power Surging Quad Cities - Clinton LumberKings
- Marathon Sees Loons Falter - Great Lakes Loons
- Bandits Beat LumberKings for Fourth Straight Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lugs Lose Despite Diaz's Dandy Debut - Lansing Lugnuts
- Rattlers Outslug Peoria 11-8 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Chiefs Fall 11-8 Thursday - Peoria Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- South Bend Cubs to Play University of Notre Dame in Exhibition Game on April 4
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule
- South Bend Cubs and Weigel Broadcasting Co. Renew Television Deal for 2018 Season
- South Bend Cubs to Offer Peanut-Free Suite on June 3
- Limited 2018 Celebrity Series VIP Tickets Now Available