Crunch Fall Short in Norfolk, 2-1
Norfolk, VA (January 18, 2011) - Nick Bonino scored a goal for the second straight game, but that was all the offense the Crunch could muster, as an unlucky bounce off the skate of Nate Guenin slid past Timo Pielmeier 47 seconds into the third period and stood up as the game-winner, as the Syracuse Crunch were edged by the Norfolk Admirals by a 2-1 score tonight at the Scope.
The Crunch travel to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to take on the Penguins tomorrow night before beginning a five-game home stand on Friday, January 21 vs. Rochester.
Nofolk had some jump in its step from the outset and it showed, as the Admirals outshot the Crunch by a 12-4 margin in the first period. Pielmeier was sharp for the Crunch, stopping every bid thrown his way through the game's first 20 minutes.
Norfolk got on the board first at the 2:47 mark of the second period when Troy Milam's point shot found its way through a screened Pielmeier to make it a 1-0 game.
The Crunch bounced back and tied the contest at 1-1 just over five minutes later on the power play after Johan Harju was called for hooking. Nathan Paetsch took the original shot and Nick Bonino found the puck in the slot and ripped a wrister past Dustin Tokarski for the equalizer.
After working hard to knot the score, the Crunch were the victims of bad luck as Norfolk's Radko Gudas let go a shot in the slot that ticked off the skate of Guenin to give the Admirals back the lead less than a minute into the third frame.
The Crunch pulled Pielmeier in the waning minutes, but could not pull even as Tokarski stopped 19 of 20 Syracuse shots on the night. Pielmeier stopped 27 of 29 bids for the Crunch, but was the hard-luck loser.
CRUNCHABLES: Tonight began a stretch of four games in five nights for the Crunch.Syracuse is 20-for-21 on the penalty kill over the last five games.The Crunch have been held to six goals over the last five games.Nick Bonino extended his point streak to three games (2g, 1a).Syracuse has one win in its last six games.The Crunch have been outshot in 30 of 42 games this season and are 10-17-0-3 in those contests
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2011
- Grahame and Monsters Make It Four Straight - Cleveland Monsters
- Moose Take Down Marlies 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Sound Tigers Fall 3-2 to Bruins in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs Roll Past Amerks 7-0 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Routed by Bulldogs 7-0; Drop Fifth Straight - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Win Fourth Straight on Gudas Game-Winner - Norfolk Admirals
- P-Bruins Defeat Sound Tigers 3-2 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Fall Short in Norfolk, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Whale Notebook - Connecticut Whale
- Aeros Watch Party at Maple Leaf Pub - Houston Aeros
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Gameday Preview - Grand Rapids at Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Marlies Finish Nine Game Road Trip this Week; Return to Ricoh this Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Coyotes Recall Chris Summers from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Sll-Stars Look to Join Elite Company - AHL
- San Jose Sharks Assign Three Players to Worcester - Worcester Sharks
- Heat Game on Sunday Draws a Peak Audience of 258,000 Viewers - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Mark Janssens to Skate in Whalers Vs. Bruins Legends Game - Connecticut Whale
- Goaltender Jaroslav Janus Reassigned to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tonight's Worcester Sharks Game Postponed Due to Inclement Winter Weather - Worcester Sharks
- Moose Sign Andy Brandt to PTO - Manitoba Moose
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Worcester Sharks Announce Details for 3rd Annual High School Hockey Clash - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Recall Forward Bobby Butler from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Announces Postponement - AHL
- Falcons Get Ready To Play Four Games In Five Days This Week - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Alex Barre-Boulet Voted Winner of Dudley (Red) Garrett Memorial Award as AHL's Outstanding Rookie
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Cameron Gaunce to Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly
- Carter Verhaeghe, Alex Barre-Boulet Win AHL Scoring Races
- Crunch Edged by Comets, 4-3, in Shootout