Amerks Routed by Bulldogs 7-0; Drop Fifth Straight
(Rochester, NY)... After jumping out to a 2-0 first-period lead, the Hamilton Bulldogs erupted for five unanswered in the second, including three on the power-play, to cruise to a 7-0 win over the Rochester Americans this evening at Copps Coliseum. The loss extends Rochester's current losing streak to a season-high five games as it falls to 17-22-2-2 on the season.
Seven different goal-scorers tallied markers for the Bulldogs, who were led by Ryan Russell's game-high three-point (1+2) performance. Six others Bulldog skaters also recorded multi-point night efforts in front of veteran netminder Curtis Stanford's 22-save shutout. Hamilton also capped the matchup going a perfect three-for-three on the power-play.
Rochester goaltenders Jacob Markstrom and Tyler Plante combined for 28 stops in the losing effort.
Aaron Palushaj (1+1) put the Bulldogs on top 1-0 midway through the opening frame at 12:08 and the Hamilton lead doubled shortly thereafter on a power-play tally from Olivier Fortier just over two minutes later. Kyle Klubertanz (0+2) assisted on both goals to help his team take a 2-0 advantage after 20 minutes of play.
Hamilton took control in the second stanza, again using back-to-back strikes halfway through the frame as Russell and T.J. Wyman found the back of the net just 40 seconds apart to extend the Bulldogs' lead to 4-0. The goal was Wyman's 11th of the season.
Andreas Engqvist (1+1) continued the onslaught two minutes later at 13:27 with his sixth of the season not long before Frederic St. Denis (1+1) and Mathieu Carle potted consecutive goals with the man-advantage. All three tallies came within two minutes of each other as the Bulldogs took a commanding 7-0 lead entering the final frame, where the Amerks failed to register a shot on goal.
After having Wednesday off, Rochester travels to downtown Cleveland on Thursday, January 20th to exchange pleasantries with the Lake Erie Monsters for the third time in seven days. Game time is slated for a 7:00 p.m. start at Quicken Loans Arena and will be carried live on SportsRadio 1280 WHTK and FM 107.3, Rochester's Sports Talk.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2011
- Grahame and Monsters Make It Four Straight - Cleveland Monsters
- Moose Take Down Marlies 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Sound Tigers Fall 3-2 to Bruins in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs Roll Past Amerks 7-0 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Routed by Bulldogs 7-0; Drop Fifth Straight - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Win Fourth Straight on Gudas Game-Winner - Norfolk Admirals
- P-Bruins Defeat Sound Tigers 3-2 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Fall Short in Norfolk, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Whale Notebook - Connecticut Whale
- Aeros Watch Party at Maple Leaf Pub - Houston Aeros
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Gameday Preview - Grand Rapids at Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Marlies Finish Nine Game Road Trip this Week; Return to Ricoh this Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Coyotes Recall Chris Summers from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Sll-Stars Look to Join Elite Company - AHL
- San Jose Sharks Assign Three Players to Worcester - Worcester Sharks
- Heat Game on Sunday Draws a Peak Audience of 258,000 Viewers - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Mark Janssens to Skate in Whalers Vs. Bruins Legends Game - Connecticut Whale
- Goaltender Jaroslav Janus Reassigned to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tonight's Worcester Sharks Game Postponed Due to Inclement Winter Weather - Worcester Sharks
- Moose Sign Andy Brandt to PTO - Manitoba Moose
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Worcester Sharks Announce Details for 3rd Annual High School Hockey Clash - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Recall Forward Bobby Butler from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Announces Postponement - AHL
- Falcons Get Ready To Play Four Games In Five Days This Week - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Americans Stories
- Sabres Acquire Draft Pick from Stars
- Amerks Move Atop AHL Standings with 3-2 Overtime Win over Crunch
- Give the Gift of Hockey with Amerks Holiday Packs
- Bailey, Simpson Each Score Twice in 5-2 Win over Monsters
- Former Bills Running Back Freddy Jackson to Appear at December 7 Amerks Home Game