Admirals Win Fourth Straight on Gudas Game-Winner
NORFOLK, Va. - First-year defenseman Radko Gudas broke a 1-1 tie 47 seconds into the third period as the Norfolk Admirals (23-10-7-2) won their fourth consecutive game with a 2-1 victory over the Syracuse Crunch (15-22-1-4) on Tuesday night at Norfolk Scope Arena. The Admirals will now embark on a four-game road trip beginning on Friday against the Binghamton Senators at 7:05 p.m.
Troy Milam also scored for the Admirals while Dustin Tokarski won his third straight game by stopping 19 of 20 shots.
After a scoreless opening period, the Admirals took a 1-0 lead just 2:47 into the second period with Milam's eighth goal of the season. Milam sent a shot from the left point that deflected off a Syracuse defenseman in the left circle before getting past a screened Crunch netminder Timo Pielmeier.
The Crunch leveled the score at 1-1 on the power play just over five minutes later. Nathan Paetsch sent a shot from the high slot that was blocked. However, Nick Bonino found the loose puck in the slot and sent a shot past the glove of Tokarski at 7:55.
The Admirals re-claimed the lead just 47 seconds into the final frame. Paul Szczechura sent a feed from the left point to Gudas in the right circle. Gudas eluded the sweep check of a Syracuse defender and attempted to center the puck to the goalmouth. However, the puck deflected off the skate of a Crunch defenseman in the low slot and caromed into the net for Gudas' third goal of the season.
Dustin Tokarski (20 shots, 19 saves) earned the win. Timo Pielmeier (29 shots, 27 saves) took the loss.
Norfolk was 0-3 on the power play. Syracuse was 1-3.
The Admirals will now embark on a four-game road trip beginning on Friday against the Binghamton Senators at 7:05 p.m. Follow all of the action at 102.1-FM and 1490-AM The Game, 1021TheGame.com and ahllive.com.
The Admirals return to Scope on Friday and Saturday, January 28 and 29, to face off against the Springfield Falcons. The first 750 children aged 14 and younger through the gates on January 28 will receive an Admirals zamboni bank courtesy of JPM Financial Services, John's Tax Service, WAVY-TV 10 & Fox43. Also on January 28, students, teachers and staff of Norfolk Public Schools can get tickets for just $5 when purchased in advance through the Admirals website at norfolkadmirals.com.
January 29 marks the return of Guns and Hoses Night to benefit Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters. You get two games for the price of one, as "The Finest" battle "The Bravest" in the Norfolk Police Department vs. the Norfolk Fire Department game at 4:30 p.m. Then, your Norfolk Admirals battle the Springfield Falcons at 7:15 p.m. For a limited time, Red Level Tickets for the event are available for only $12 - you save $2 per ticket and get in to "The Finest" vs. "The Bravest" for free! Best of all, a portion of your purchase goes back to CHKD. Tickets are available at norfolkadmirals.com.
Individual tickets for all regular season games start at just $12. Tickets are available now at the Scope Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, charge-by-phone at 1-800-745-3000 and online at ticketmaster.com.
Take advantage of great savings on Admirals tickets with our 10-Packs and group tickets. 10-Packs are available for as little as $110 and allow you to pick the games you want. Group tickets start at $10 for groups of 25 or more people. Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.comanytime for more details or to purchase your tickets!
1. Radko Gudas - NOR
2. Troy Milam - NOR
3. Dustin Tokarski - NOR
NOTES ... Norfolk has tied a season high with a four-game winning streak ... The Admirals extended their lead over the idle third-place Charlotte Checkers to four points. Norfolk has one game in hand on Charlotte ... All three of Radko Gudas' goals this season have broke ties and stood up as game-winners ... Goaltender Jaroslav Janus was reassigned by the Tampa Bay Lightning to the Admirals from the ECHL's Florida Everblades today ... Goaltender Cedrick Desjardins is out with an upper-body injury and will be further evaluated in the next 1-2 days ... Scratches: Levi Nelson, Pierre-Cedric Labrie, Mathieu Roy, Mitch Fritz, Cedrick Desjardins, Marc-Andre Bergeron.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 18, 2011
- Grahame and Monsters Make It Four Straight - Cleveland Monsters
- Moose Take Down Marlies 4-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Sound Tigers Fall 3-2 to Bruins in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bulldogs Roll Past Amerks 7-0 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Amerks Routed by Bulldogs 7-0; Drop Fifth Straight - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Win Fourth Straight on Gudas Game-Winner - Norfolk Admirals
- P-Bruins Defeat Sound Tigers 3-2 in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Fall Short in Norfolk, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Whale Notebook - Connecticut Whale
- Aeros Watch Party at Maple Leaf Pub - Houston Aeros
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Gameday Preview - Grand Rapids at Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Marlies Finish Nine Game Road Trip this Week; Return to Ricoh this Weekend - Toronto Marlies
- Albany Devils Weekly - Albany Devils
- Coyotes Recall Chris Summers from San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- AHL Sll-Stars Look to Join Elite Company - AHL
- San Jose Sharks Assign Three Players to Worcester - Worcester Sharks
- Heat Game on Sunday Draws a Peak Audience of 258,000 Viewers - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Mark Janssens to Skate in Whalers Vs. Bruins Legends Game - Connecticut Whale
- Goaltender Jaroslav Janus Reassigned to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Tonight's Worcester Sharks Game Postponed Due to Inclement Winter Weather - Worcester Sharks
- Moose Sign Andy Brandt to PTO - Manitoba Moose
- AHL Announces Suspension - AHL
- Worcester Sharks Announce Details for 3rd Annual High School Hockey Clash - Worcester Sharks
- Senators Recall Forward Bobby Butler from Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- AHL Announces Postponement - AHL
- Falcons Get Ready To Play Four Games In Five Days This Week - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Admirals Earn a Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss at Jacksonville
- Gladiators Overcome Slow Start to Defeat Admirals 5-3
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, November 10, 2018
- Nogard and Barone Lead Admirals Past Atlanta
- Game Preview: Gladiators at Admirals, November 9, 2018