Cruise Hand Go-Go First Loss of Regular Season
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Capital City Go-Go (1-1), the NBA G League affiliate of the Washington Wizards, were handed their first defeat of the regular season by the Motor City Cruise, 118-113, on Saturday night at the Entertainment and Sports Arena.
Tonight's contest featured 10 lead changes and four ties in a back-and-fourth first half that saw the Go-Go holding a slight 64-60 lead at half. The Cruise opened up the second half with a 12-2 run, effectively giving Motor City a 72-66 lead. The Cruise led by as many as 14 points in the fourth quarter before the Go-Go charged back, chipping the lead to just five points with 1:49 left in regulation. Motor City would hold on to the lead however, as they improved to 2-0 to start the regular season.
The Go-Go were led offensively by Kyree Walker who netted a team-high 30 points on 9-of-18 (.500) shooting from the field while hauling in nine rebounds on the night. Jaime Echenique scored 28 points (12-17 FG), grabbing nine total rebounds as well. Echenique has now scored 20+ points for the Go-Go in both games to open up the regular season. Jordan Goodwin (18), Joel Ayayi (10) and Shannon Bogues (10) all scored in double figures for Capital City.
Motor City's offensive effort was spearheaded by Derrick Walton Jr. who tallied a team-best 22 points on 7-of-12 shooting while amassing a game-high nine assists. The Cruise were also led by ShawnDre Jones who netted 21 points (8-14 FG) and added four rebounds and two assists off the bench. Cheick Diallo (17), Jamorko Pickett (12), Trayvon Palmer (12) and Jaylen Johnson (12) all recorded 10+ points for the well-balanced Cruise offense that saw six players score in double figures.
The Go-Go return to the court on Tuesday, January 11 as they head to the Sunshine State for a showdown with the Lakeland Magic at 7:00 p.m. The game will be aired nationally on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 10, 2022
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Memphis Hustle, 132-130 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Mavericks Sign Pinson to Two-Way Contract - Texas Legends
- Windy City Acquires Rights to Former NBA Players Andrew Harrison & Jeremy Pargo - Windy City Bulls
- Motor City Cruise Claim Marcus Thornton from Available Player Pool - Motor City Cruise
- Top Talent to Shine in NBA All-Star 2022's NBA G League Next Gem Game - NBA G League Ignite
- Charge to Face G League Ignite in Inaugural Next Gem Game - Cleveland Charge
- Stars Acquire Rayvonte Rice - Salt Lake City Stars
- Warriors Acquire Ryan Taylor and Frankie Ferrari - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stars Host Skyforce and Lakers this Week - Salt Lake City Stars
- Cleveland Cavaliers Convert Brandon Goodwin to Two-Way Contract - Westchester Knicks
- Herd Loses First Regular Season Game - Wisconsin Herd
- Cruise Hand Go-Go First Loss of Regular Season - Capital City Go-Go
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Capital City Go-Go Stories
- Go-Go Advance to Second Round; Earn Wire-To-Wire Victory over Skyhawks
- Capital City to Host College Park in NBA G League Playoffs
- Greg Monroe Earns Call-Up with Utah
- Go-Go Push Winning Streak to Five with Victory over Magic
- Go-Go Dominate Blue Coats in Third Straight Win