Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Memphis Hustle, 132-130
SOUTHAVEN, MS - The Santa Cruz Warriors (3-0) overcame the Memphis Hustle (0-1) at Landers Center in Southaven, Mississippi.
On assignment from Golden State, guard Moses Moody led the Sea Dubs with 37 points and Warriors two-way guard Quinndary Weatherspoon followed closely with 34 points and added four assists. Forward LJ Figueroa finished the night with 17 points and 13 rebounds in the win.
Memphis guard David Stockton led the team with 31 points and added seven rebounds and seven assists. Forward Cameron Young added 22 points and four assists and center Tyler Hagedorn finished the game with 20 points and four rebounds.
The two teams had a very competitive, low-scoring first quarter, with Memphis pulling away late to take a slim lead to end the quarter, 24-20. The Hustle extended their lead by as many as 16 points late in the second quarter thanks to 20 points by the Hustle's Stockton, however 20 first half points by Weatherspoon helped the Warriors stay in the game, finishing the half 66-53. The Warriors brought the game to within four points in the third quarter with big buckets from Figueroa. Santa Cruz came back to tie the game at 123 with one minute remaining in the fourth quarter. Two made free throws from Stockton gave the Hustle a two-point lead, 125-123, with 48 seconds remaining. With just 2.1 seconds left in the fourth quarter, a shooting foul at the three-point line allowed Santa Cruz's Weatherspoon three made free throws to tie the game at 126 and head into overtime for the second consecutive game. A floater at the buzzer by Figueroa gave the Warriors the go-ahead to close out overtime with the win, 132-130.
The Warriors will continue their road trip and head to Frisco, Texas for a back-to-back against the Texas Legends on January 14 and 15. For more information on the Santa Cruz Warriors, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 10, 2022
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Memphis Hustle, 132-130 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Mavericks Sign Pinson to Two-Way Contract - Texas Legends
- Windy City Acquires Rights to Former NBA Players Andrew Harrison & Jeremy Pargo - Windy City Bulls
- Motor City Cruise Claim Marcus Thornton from Available Player Pool - Motor City Cruise
- Top Talent to Shine in NBA All-Star 2022's NBA G League Next Gem Game - NBA G League Ignite
- Charge to Face G League Ignite in Inaugural Next Gem Game - Cleveland Charge
- Stars Acquire Rayvonte Rice - Salt Lake City Stars
- Warriors Acquire Ryan Taylor and Frankie Ferrari - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Stars Host Skyforce and Lakers this Week - Salt Lake City Stars
- Cleveland Cavaliers Convert Brandon Goodwin to Two-Way Contract - Westchester Knicks
- Herd Loses First Regular Season Game - Wisconsin Herd
- Cruise Hand Go-Go First Loss of Regular Season - Capital City Go-Go
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Santa Cruz Warriors Recognized as 2021-22 NBA G League Franchise of the Year
- Warriors, Kaiser Permanente and the Athletes' Corner Donate 53,310 Meals to Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Cruz County Through Swishes for Dishes Initiative
- Santa Cruz Warriors Season Ends with Loss to South Bay Lakers, 134-123
- Warriors Assign Moses Moody to Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Closes out Regular Season with Overtime Win against Austin, 118-112