Crosscutters Win Wild Extra-Inning Game at West Virginia
Morgantown, W.V. - Bryson Stott doubled home the winning run in the top of the 10th in a crazy 8-7 win at the West Virginia Black Bears on Monday night. The Crosscutters had a 7-0 lead in the sixth inning on the strength of a five RBI performance by Hunter Hearn but the Black Bears battled back to force extras.
Hearn clobbered his fourth homer of the season in the first inning and blasted a three-run, bases-clearing double to dead-center in the fourth on his big night. Jake Holmes was 3-for-5 with a double and three RBI. And Corbin Williams was 2-for-4 with two stolen bases and three runs scored including the winning run in the 10th. Williams re-took the NYPL lead in stolen bases with 28.
The winning hit for Williamsport (26-37), off the bat of Bryson Stott to right-center, was almost denied on a spectacular diving effort by West Virginia center fielder Brett Kinneman but the ball came out of his glove as he landed.
West Virginia (34-28) almost tied the game again in the bottom of the 10th but pitcher Rafael Carvajal (S, 3) fired out a runner at home after a one-hopper back to the mound. Then second baseman Nate Fassnacht made a terrific diving, sliding catch to his left on a hard liner to end the game.
The Crosscutters improved to 16-10 in the second half of the season after going 10-27 in the first half.
Williamsport returns from the NYPL All-Star Break on Thursday at 7:05 p.m. hosting the Mahoning Valley Scrappers (CLE) with LHP Junior Tejada the probable for the Cutters.
WIL 8 12 2 (13)
WV 7 14 1 (11)
W - Brian Marconi (1-3)
L - Alec Rennard (0-4)
S - Rafael Carvajal (3)
HR - Hunter Hearn (4)
Crosscutters Record: 26-37
Next Home Game/Promotion: Thursday, August 22, 7:05 p.m. vs. Mahoning Valley / Pin Giveaway
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Rutschman's Five Hit Night Fuels Comeback Win - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Politz Brilliant Again, Spikes Fall Late to Doubledays, 3-1 - State College Spikes
- Struggling at the Wrong Time - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Black Bears Lose in Gutsy Extra-Innings Battle - West Virginia Black Bears
- Spinners Ride Homers from Davis, Groshans to 7-3 Victory - Lowell Spinners
- Home Runs Power Spinners Past Tigers - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Crosscutters Win Wild Extra-Inning Game at West Virginia - Williamsport Crosscutters
- 5-Run 8th Leads Aberdeen Past Vermont 8-2 - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Cyclones Sweep Their Way into All-Star Break - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Doubledays Drop Doubleheader to Spikes - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Williamsport Crosscutters Stories
- Laptop Giveaway Entries Due September 7
- Cutters Launch Reading Contest
- COVID-19 Claims 2020 Cutters Season
- Cutters to Re-Live 2003 Championship Season on Social Media
- Update from the Williamsport Crosscutters