Home Runs Power Spinners Past Tigers
Norwich, CT - Jake Holton went 2-for-3 with an RBI and a run scored, but the Connecticut Tigers (30-33) fell by a final score of 7-3 to the Lowell Spinners (35-29).
Lowell got on the board early with a two-run home run from Jaxx Groshans off of Keider Montero (Loss, 2-2) to make it 2-0. After Montero exited the game in the third, the Spinners added to their lead with the second home run of the game from Joe Davis to make it 4-0. Davis finished the night 3-for-4 with two runs scored and two RBI.
The Tigers pushed across their first run of the game on an RBI single by Holton in the fourth inning. The Spinners answered back with a sacrifice fly to push the lead back to four. Stephen Scott drove in another run in the fifth on the second sacrifice fly to make it 6-1.
After Jordan Verdon scored on a wild pitch in the seventh, Jose King delivered a sacrifice fly in the eighth to get the Tigers the closest they were tonight and made it 6-3.
The Spinners added insurance in the bottom of the frame with the third RBI of the game from Groshans to make it 7-3. Groshans went 1-for-5 with a home run and three RBI.
Osvaldo De La Rosa (Win, 3-1) pitched 1.2 scoreless middle innings to slow the Connecticut offense. The Tigers got their only scoreless inning of relief from Chavez Fernander in the contest.
The Connecticut Tigers will be back in action on August 22 for a doubleheader against Brooklyn after the All-Star Break. The Tigers will send Eliezer Alfonzo and Xavier Javier to the game in Staten Island on August 21. You can catch all the action of the doubleheader on August 22 at Dodd Stadium on the Norwich Courtyard by Marriott Connecticut Tigers Radio Network on 1310 WICH. Elijah Gonzalez will have the call. First pitch is scheduled for 5:05 p.m.
The Connecticut Tigers are the New York-Penn League affiliate of the Detroit Tigers at Dodd Stadium in Norwich, Connecticut. 2019 individual game tickets, season memberships for "The Club", mini plans, and team merchandise are on sale now! The front office and box office are open daily from 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday and can be accessed in person, online at www.cttigers.com, or by calling (860) 887-7962.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Rutschman's Five Hit Night Fuels Comeback Win - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Politz Brilliant Again, Spikes Fall Late to Doubledays, 3-1 - State College Spikes
- Struggling at the Wrong Time - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Black Bears Lose in Gutsy Extra-Innings Battle - West Virginia Black Bears
- Spinners Ride Homers from Davis, Groshans to 7-3 Victory - Lowell Spinners
- Home Runs Power Spinners Past Tigers - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Crosscutters Win Wild Extra-Inning Game at West Virginia - Williamsport Crosscutters
- 5-Run 8th Leads Aberdeen Past Vermont 8-2 - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Cyclones Sweep Their Way into All-Star Break - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Doubledays Drop Doubleheader to Spikes - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norwich Sea Unicorns Stories
- Norwich Sea Unicorns and Minor League Baseball Statements Regarding 2020 Minor League Baseball Season
- Sea Unicorns to Celebrate Pi Day March 13th & 14th
- 2020 CT Military All-Star Nominations Now Open
- Congressman Joe Courtney and Norwich Mayor Peter Nystrom to Hold Press Conference at Dodd Stadium Monday, February 3rd
- Norwich Sea Unicorns Announce 2020 Coaching Staff