Cyclones Sweep Their Way into All-Star Break
CONEY ISLAND, NY - The Brooklyn Cyclones, the Short-Season Class A affiliate of the New York Mets, scored first and never looked back, riding a pair of home runs and shutout pitching to a 5-0 win and a series sweep of the Tri-City ValleyCats at MCU Park on Monday night.
W: Gaconi (4-1)
L: Gusto (0-1)
Cyclones HR: Garay (2), Mena (2)
Gavin Garay smacked the first of two Cyclones home runs off Tri-City reliever Christian Mejias, launching a 391-foot, solo blast to left field in the fourth that made it 3-0 Brooklyn. Two innings later, Jose Mena slugged a two-run home run off the left-field foul pole to boost Brooklyn's lead to 5-0.
The Brooklyn bats scored in each of the first two innings off Tri-City starter Ryan Gusto, including a Jose Mena run-scoring double that made it 2-0 in the second.
Nate Jones, Corey Gaconi, Hunter Parsons, and Josh Hejka combined to shut out Tri-City, limiting the ValleyCats to five hits and recording 10 strikeouts.
KEY CYCLONES CONTRIBUTORS
Jose Mena: 3-4, 2B, HR, 3 RBI, R
Gavin Garay: 1-4, HR, RBI, R
Corey Gaconi: W, 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 5 K
Nate Jones: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K
NEWS & NOTES
The Cyclones now begin the two-day All-Star break. Brooklyn will have five representatives in the NYPL's Midsummer Classic: Garrison Bryant, Matt Cleveland, Joe Genord, Mitch Ragan, and Wilmer Reyes. The Cyclones' coaching and training staff will lead the NYPL Blue Team.
Brooklyn enters the All-Star break with sole possession of first place in the Wild Card and four series remaining.
The Cyclones collected their fifth sweep of the season.
For the fifth time this season, Brooklyn hit two home runs in one game. The Cyclones also combined for their third shutout of the season.
Cyclones at Connecticut (DH) - Thursday, 5:05 p.m.
Dodd Stadium - Norwich, CT
Game 1 Probables: RHP Frank Valentino (1-3, 3.80) vs. TBA
Game 2 Probables: RHP Dan Goggin (2-1, 3.70) vs. TBA
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Rutschman's Five Hit Night Fuels Comeback Win - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Politz Brilliant Again, Spikes Fall Late to Doubledays, 3-1 - State College Spikes
- Struggling at the Wrong Time - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Black Bears Lose in Gutsy Extra-Innings Battle - West Virginia Black Bears
- Spinners Ride Homers from Davis, Groshans to 7-3 Victory - Lowell Spinners
- Home Runs Power Spinners Past Tigers - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Crosscutters Win Wild Extra-Inning Game at West Virginia - Williamsport Crosscutters
- 5-Run 8th Leads Aberdeen Past Vermont 8-2 - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Cyclones Sweep Their Way into All-Star Break - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Doubledays Drop Doubleheader to Spikes - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.