Spinners Ride Homers from Davis, Groshans to 7-3 Victory
LOWELL, MA - It took three hours and 20 minutes, but the Lowell Spinners, proud affiliate of the 2018 World Champion Boston Red Sox, were able to pull out a big 7-3 victory over the Connecticut Tigers, affiliate of the Detroit Tigers, on Monday night.
With the victory, Lowell saw its division lead swell to 4.5 games and magic number fall to nine games.
The Spinners (35-29) were able to jump on the Tigers (30-33) in the bottom of the first inning. After 2019 NYPL All-Star Gilberto Jimenez led the inning off with an infield single, Jaxx Groshans launched a two-run home run to left field - his fourth of the season - giving his guys an early 2-0 lead.
After the second inning went scoreless, Lowell kept pouring it on when fellow 2019 All-Star Joe Davis launched a two-run homer of his own deep into the night in left-center field - his fifth of the season - driving in Jimenez and making it 4-0.
After Connecticut got one back in the top of the fourth, Wil Dalton led the bottom half of with a triple to right-center field and scored on a sacrifice fly by Alex Erro - making it 5-1 in favor of the home squad.
While most would consider the fifth run the nail on the coffin, the Spinners thought otherwise when Stephen Scott drove home Davis on a sacrifice fly to make it 6-1 Lowell.
The Tigers got two more back in the seventh and eighth innings, but the Spinners made it 7-3 when Groshans made it three RBIs on the night when he drove home Erro on a slow roller to second base.
Ryan Fernandez got the start on the mound for Lowell - his first since August 3, 2018 when he was a member of the Gulf Coast League Red Sox. He went 3.1 innings and picked up a no-decision in the contest. He allowed one run on four hits with a walk and a strikeout.
Osvaldo De La Rosa picked up the win, his third of the season, going 1.2 innings, allowing no runs on one hit with three strikeouts.
The Lowell Spinners, proud affiliate of the 2018 World Champion Boston Red Sox, offer Season Ticket Packages, Mini-Plans, Group Sales, and Single Game Tickets.
For more information, please visit: http://www.milb.com/lowell or call (978) 805-5124 for more information.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Rutschman's Five Hit Night Fuels Comeback Win - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Politz Brilliant Again, Spikes Fall Late to Doubledays, 3-1 - State College Spikes
- Struggling at the Wrong Time - Hudson Valley Renegades
- Black Bears Lose in Gutsy Extra-Innings Battle - West Virginia Black Bears
- Spinners Ride Homers from Davis, Groshans to 7-3 Victory - Lowell Spinners
- Home Runs Power Spinners Past Tigers - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Crosscutters Win Wild Extra-Inning Game at West Virginia - Williamsport Crosscutters
- 5-Run 8th Leads Aberdeen Past Vermont 8-2 - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Cyclones Sweep Their Way into All-Star Break - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Doubledays Drop Doubleheader to Spikes - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.